Introducing Veeam Hands-On Labs

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Welcome to the inaugural Veeam Hands-On Labs global community group! This guide aims to provide a brief overview of the Veeam Hands-on Labs offering for the benefit of the Veeam technical community.

What are Veeam Hands-On Labs?

Veeam Hands-On Labs are here to revolutionise the way we explore, learn, and stay ahead with Veeam's cutting-edge solutions. Veeam Hands-On Labs provide an immersive, real-life environment for both customers and partners to test drive various solutions available within the Veeam Data Platform. It is your safe playground to explore Veeam solutions hands-on, in an enterprise grade environment.

Ever wondered how to seamlessly back up, replicate, and recover your data? Ever wondered how to efficiently recover from an actual Ransomware infection with Veeam? Curious about the latest features and updates from the Veeam Data Platform? Look no further! Veeam Hands-On Labs allow you to get behind the wheel of Veeam's solutions, test-drive these capabilities and key features that matter to you most, without the need to set things up in your own environment.

Each Veeam-Hands on lab will be accessible using just a web browser. Alongside the RDP session to the lab’s jump host, a detailed user guide explaining step by step instructions are also available on the same browser window (which can be spun out into a separate window if you have multiple screens)

How do you access Veeam Hands-On Labs?

Veeam partners

All Veeam partners and their technical teams have access to web-based Veeam Hands-On Labs through the Veeam Pro-partner portal. Please go to Technical & Pre-Sales -> Hands-On Labs. All labs are available online, on-demand, in a self serviceable manner.

Direct link: https://propartner.veeam.com/hands-on-labs/

End users

All others, such as end users can access Veeam Hands-On Labs using the self serviceable, web based Veeam Hands-On Labs public landing page where various Veeam Hands-On Labs can be self-provisioned on-demand.

Veeam HOL public URL: https://go.veeam.com/hands-on-lab-experience-html

What labs are available where?

Despite a globally unified portal  to access all Veeam Hands-On Labs on-demand from, the labs available in each geographical region (EMEA, Americas, APJ) can vary, due to various reasons.

• End user Hands-On Labs: The Hands-On Labs URL uses geo location behind the scenes to verify where the lab registration requests come from and will only display the specific Veeam Hands-On Labs available in that region. For example, a user accessing the Veeam Hands-On Labs URL from the UK or Nederland may be shown the same set of labs compared to a user accessing the same URL from United States who may be shown a different set of labs.
  • Partner Hands-On Labs: Similar to the above, but the geo location works based on the partner’s registered address as per the pro-partner profile, rather than where the request itself is coming from.

Internally, we are working in unison across all 3 geo’s with a view to harmonise lab availabilities across all regions in the future. In the meantime, the best way to find out the latest list of labs available for your geo will be to visit the landing page URLs (as listed above).

One more thing!

In addition to these on-demand, web-based  labs, some geographical regions / countries may also have in-person Hands-On Labs workshops organised by the local Veeam team from time to time. These instructor lead workshops will typically be delivered by a Veeam Systems Engineer who will run through the labs with the attendees providing additional context. Each workshop will typically have no more than 15 attendees and the enrolment is not guaranteed to everyone (subject to approval based on Veeam’s discretion).

N.B. Please note that these in person Hands-on Labs workshops are run by local Veeam teams, on a best effort basis and may not be available everywhere. In addition, please note that the purpose of these workshops is to  provide attendees an opportunity to test drive Veeam solutions.They are not to be confused with formal Veeam training programmes provided via the authorised Veeam training partners., which continues to be the recommended formal Veeam training available.

Please contact your Veeam account manager / Veeam Systems Engineer in your local region / country for more information including availabilities.

Lab maintenance & Updates

Please note that Veeam Hands-On Labs are not a Veeam corporate tool but only a community offering brought to you by the global Veeam Systems Engineering community. As such, the content on the platform including the lab platform itself, labs and the guides are managed on a best effort basis with no formal SLA. That also means that, while the labs will be frequently updated with new software versions…etc, it may take some time before any new Veeam solutions are included into the list of available labs.

If you encounter any issues with any of the labs, please do not contact Veeam technical support but instead, engage via this group or email veeam.handsonlabs@veeam.com, stating your geographical location (EMEA, Americas, APJ). 

Join the Conversation

This forum is your space to connect with fellow Veeam enthusiasts, partners, and experts, as well as some of the lab authors here at Veeam.

If you have a question, an "aha" moment regarding a new lab idea, or an experience to share, please get  involved and share your thoughts, insights, and feedback & Lab Requests by engaging on this community group. Lab authors will be grateful to hear from you, given the substantiate time and effort they put into bringing these labs to life.

Oh, and your Hands-on Labs related community activities will also help increase your eligibility score to the Veeam Legends programme which is also a bonus.

See you in the labs!

Veeam Hands-On Labs admin team!

20 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This is a great initiative and looking forward to playing in the labs. 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Great 😎 this makes testing of some special functions much easier. 👍🏼

Userlevel 1

Excellent, I hope to make use of these, thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

hi @Chan Ekanayake 

I wanted to report that hand lab "Test drive Veeam recovery scenarios" can't do the recovery test on sharepoint, when you open Chrome and go to sharepoint site it loops and then timeout the page, can't delete files to restore.

Launched 3 times always the same behavior. Correct ping and DNS reachability.

Even from local on sharepoint server it does not open the site even with localhost.

regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I had one issue in the Hardened Repo lab where the ps script would not accept my authentication so I used the web client (to remove user from sudo and turn off ssh). Could have been me having a mental block with authentication in one place and not in another but I did try numerous times :) 

Overall a great addition! Congrats Veeam on this effort!

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Love to see this, thanks for sharing @Chan Ekanayake 👏

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

hi @Chan Ekanayake 

I wanted to report that hand lab "Test drive Veeam recovery scenarios" can't do the recovery test on sharepoint, when you open Chrome and go to sharepoint site it loops and then timeout the page, can't delete files to restore.

Even from local on sharepoint server it does not open the site even with localhost.

regards

@Link State, first of all, I appreciate your interest in our Hands-On Lab. I am the SE behind this HOL scenario and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Upon review, I’ve identified that the issue stems from the SQL Server's Windows Firewall, which has been activated.
As an immediate temporary solution, you may access the SQL Server via the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) shortcut available on the desktop of the jumpbox and disable the firewall.
I will address this matter permanently next week.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@arnaud.quenum

Yes I had realized that a Firewall profile was up on the SQL server, in fact I could not connect from the jumpbox with SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) to proceed to delete the Database.
I connected to the SQL server and disabled the firewall.
Perhaps it was necessary to restart the sharpoint server post disabling the FW on SQL to restart sharepoint properly.
Thank you for the prompt reply and congratulations on the infra HOL.
regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@arnaud.quenum -- I am having issues with a HOL where it disconnected and now it never seems to reconnect, I click the button and it goes in a loop to reconnect.  I went through the Partner Portal for this.  This is the Veeam Cloud Connect HOL.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@arnaud.quenum -- I am having issues with a HOL where it disconnected and now it never seems to reconnect, I click the button and it goes in a loop to reconnect.  I went through the Partner Portal for this.  This is the Veeam Cloud Connect HOL.

@Chris.Childerhose, perhaps you've reached the HOL time limit?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

No because I have until 12:30 pm eastern time. So it is not that and now the screen is just blank no reconnect nothing. @arnaud.quenum 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

hi @Chan Ekanayake 

regards

Thanks for flagging. I’ve fed it back to the lab authors to investigate and address. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

No because I have until 12:30 pm eastern time. So it is not that and now the screen is just blank no reconnect nothing. @arnaud.quenum 

@kenlu FYI 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I will attempt another one next week and see what happens.  Hopefully it is working better at that point.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

This is a great initiative and a great new group! I’m a little late to the bandwagon but I’ll be playing around with these in 2024 for sure!

Userlevel 3
Badge

As promised some content on testing and triggering the new Incident API feature…

Userlevel 3
Badge

The Test Drive Veeam Data Platform 23H2 V12.1 Lab will Launch very soon…

Follow the guide and then some.. beat the High Score!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The Test Drive Veeam Data Platform 23H2 V12.1 Lab will Launch very soon…

Follow the guide and then some.. beat the High Score!

Darn can I count my homelab as it would be high score at almost 90%. 😂

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello,
I just try the first lab with VCSP / Cloud connect and there is an issue with licence. I click on Update now and it works fine for VBR but for VCSP I always have the message your license key has expired… 

=> I restarted all VCSP services + clear web cache and it’s working again.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Very excited to say the the long awaited Enterprise Recovery Orhcestrator V7 Lab is now available with the first instructor led lab running in early May.

Also don’t miss the AI Powerred Ransomware with the great new V12.1 features and its fellow lab Test Drive VDP V12.1 (now available on demand)

https://go.veeam.com/hands-on-lab-experience-html

Comment