Solved

Where does it store the backup for OpenShift

Userlevel 3
  • Comes here often
  • 9 comments

Hi,

I’ve been struggling to understand from the documentation where and how the snapshots are stored if you don’t have a CSI driver that doesn’t support the volumeSnapShotClass. I have two sample workloads that I was able to snapshot and restore (Fig 1.). It was mentioned on another thread that it uses FCD, but I don’t see any new volumes either in my vSphere environment.

The application below (credits to Google) doesn’t have any PVC. From my understanding if it doesn’t have a PVC then it would not need a VolumeSnapShotClass.

[Fig 1]

My environment:

I’m running OCP 4.10 with ODF using vSphere as my underlying infrastructure. By default the OCP installer for a vSphere environment will create thin and thin-csi using Vmware CSI and vCP respectively.

Is it using one of the PVCs in the kasten-io namespace?

icon

Best answer by jaiganeshjk 5 April 2023, 06:55

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi banjo,

It is definitively not using one of those pvcs. Did you create an vsphere infrastructure profile by any chance? 

That is what is uses for the vsphere-csi driver. In a recent post @jaiganeshjk talked about this here:

cheers

Userlevel 3

Hi Geoff,

Both location and infrastructure are empty. I’m just about to add NFS FileStore now. Added a screenshot for transparency.

Userlevel 3

I’m not too familiar with FCD, but I assumed that if I did a govc disk.ls I should see all the FCD that was generated, but I am only seeing (screenshot) the FCD that I made using ansible. By the way @Geoff Burke , my application with a successful snapshot that I posted doesnt’ have a PVC. So, I’m curious where does that snapshot goes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Actually now that you say this and I took a look at the screenshot it would seem that it is just grabbing objects, like services etc, so metadata. Try going into the “details, or yaml” of the operation (can’t remember in the UI what it states) to see what actually it is grabbing. It could be only getting objects, metadata. I don't know FCD myself, so my assumption would be that the api would see this as stateless. Again though I am a bit out of my league here lets see what K10 support folks say.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@banjo In this case, as the screenshot says, Backupaction doesn’t have a snapshot(the namespace you are backing up doesn’t seem to have a PVC)

Only the app config is backed up in this case and this is stored in catalog-svc database.

Below is the high level details of where the data of specific resource is stored as per the action.

BackupAction - App config → K10s catalog

BackupAction - PVC → Local provider snapshot if infrastructure profile is used/CSI based Volume snapshot

ExportAction → - App config → Location profile target

ExportAction - PVC →  Location profile target

Userlevel 3

Wow this is good @jaiganeshjk exactly what I was looking for! Ah… mystery solved! Can we add this to the architecture section in the future?

Thank you

Comment