Question

Kasten K10 DR custom S3 prefix

Userlevel 2

Hi Team,

We are using Kasten (6.5.5) and wanted to test its DR feature to backup & restore our stateful workloads between two clusters, to ensure we’re well prepared for infrastructure failures. We’re using AWS S3 bucket as our external storage, with a custom `path` in YAML manifest:

kind: Profile
apiVersion: config.kio.kasten.io/v1alpha1
metadata:
name: s3
namespace: kasten-io
spec:
locationSpec:
type: ObjectStore
objectStore:
name: kasten-backups-xxxx
objectStoreType: S3
pathType: Directory
path: "kasten/cluster1/backups"

This ensures that all our backups are placed in `kasten/cluster1/backups` prefix in S3 and the DR backups in `kasten/cluster1/backups/<cluster-id>`. The same profile was deployed in the target cluster.

However, when performing the DR process and installing k10restore job in the target cluster, we’ve got an error stating that there is no artifacts under specified prefix in S3. Upon further investigation, we’ve discovered, that restore job was looking for artifacts in `k10/<cluster-id>/migration/` which I think is the default path in S3 when creating the s3 location profile (e.g. through UI).

I didn’t see any options in the Helm Chart to provide a custom path for k10restore to search for artifacts in S3. To overcome this issue, we created a separate s3 location profile without custom `path` key in YAML manifest, which worked as expected.

My question is if it’s possible to provide a custom S3 prefix for k10restore, or if such feature is planned to be implemented in the future?

Thanks in advance!

2 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@jaiganeshjk 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@peterturnip Thanks for reporting this.
This seems to be a problem that we are not taking the custom path for S3 profile in account while generating path for DR restore. We don’t have a way to configure this with helm at the moment.

Ideally, we should be using the path from the profile even during the DR restore.

I will file a bug internally to get this fixed.

Comment