Question

Don't Keep Volume snapshots after export

• 5 September 2023
  • 4 comments

Userlevel 1

Hi Everyone,

I’m a new user of Kasten and currently testing the solution on a small Kubernetes cluster (3 nodes).

I have different mechanism to backup an app, but for costs purpose, i want to pay only for the S3 Bucket storage and not for the volume snapshot storage .

As i don’t want to keep Volume snapshots but only the storage of backups in the S3 ObjStorage Bucket, I tried to configure the following things :

• Create a preset to have a daily basis backup of a namespace content
  • For the preset, set snapshot retention to Zero (0) for volume snapshot
  • For the export operation, set the retention to 1 daily, 1 weekly, 1 monthly
  • Create a backup policy using the preset already created 

What I want :

• Scheduled backup is launched 
  • Kasten performs the backup operation using a volume snapshot (if necessary) 
  • Kasten performs the export operation to transfer snapshot content to S3 Bucket
  • Volume snapshot is deleted 

My issue :

• Even if the export is successful , the volume snapshot is not deleted / is kept 

How to get what i want in terms of behaviour ?

Am I need to create a blueprint to perform the deletion of volume snapshot as a post-backup action ? if yes is anywhere an example of blueprint to do that ?

Regards,

Sebastien

4 comments

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@SenseiPPSlash Thank you for posting the question here Sebastien.

Ideally the volumesnapshots should be retired as soon as the export restorepoint is created.

Do you see any failures in retireAction ? (Retireactions are part of system actions which can be selected from the action filter in the UI)

Also, What do you see in the restorepoints of the application ? Do you see 2 restorepoints( 1 for local and 1 for export) ?

Userlevel 1

Hi,

Thank you for the reply .

Yes I have the following error for some of the remaining volume snapshots (not all of them)

Update:

About the resto point

• For the one with error, one associated to the local volume snapshot . I have performed this morning a manual export for this one
  • Only one associated to the S3 Bucket for this example with no error like above

Userlevel 1

Hi

This night, all backups were done successfully but I still have volume snapshots remaining :/ 

Is somebody has any Blueprint example for controlling volume snapshot deletion ?

Regards

Sebastien 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@SenseiPPSlash Sebastien, 

K10 doesn’t delete the local restorepoint if your export fails. This is a fail safe mechanism to have atleast local snapshots when your exports failed.

BTW You don’t need a blueprint for this behaviour. Its Kasten’s default behaviour if you set the local retention to 0. 

It should work out of the box if it doesn’t there seems to be something wrong.

I would request you make sure that you resolve issues with your export action and see if the local restorepoints are still not retired.

If you still see the same behaviour, Please use Veeam Portal - https://my.veeam.com/ to open Kasten by Veeam support case under `Kasten K10 by Veeam Trial` product.

Comment