Windows 11 Veeam Agent 5.0.0.4301

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I know this might be a superfluous post, but I write it anyway because I know that someone will do a google search about it.

Windows 11 is out today (and if you are an IT you doesn’t install it today definitely in some production device, aren’t you?)

Anyway Veeam Agent for Windows 5.0.0.4301 has issue with it, and it’s not supported.

So.

Please.

Wait.

As @MicoolPaul said:

You want v11a which currently has “Windows 11 readiness” based on pre-release, still not officially supported of course! But v11a includes 5.0.1 :grinning:

KB4215: Release Information for Veeam Backup & Replication 11a

50 comments

Userlevel 4

The only agent I can find to download is the standalone Windows agent. Again that's why I am on this forum, I have been doing this for 3 days now. 

And I see the new windows agent is in the Veeam install ISO but how do I add that agent to the VBR?

So AGAIN, how do I manually add the new windows agent to the VBR server.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The only agent I can find to download is the standalone Windows agent. Again that's why I am on this forum, I have been doing this for 3 days now. 

And I see the new windows agent is in the Veeam install ISO but how do I add that agent to the VBR?

So AGAIN, how do I manually add the new windows agent to the VBR server.

The Agent software gets installed with VBR when you upgrade it to v11 or 11a.  During the install process it copies over the Agent installer to a directory on your VBR server.

So not sure where we are missing things here.  If you are referring to adding a workstation to a Protection Group that is something different but again not sure where the disconnect is.

Userlevel 4

I have upgraded to 11a, I have installed it 3 times now... it didn't update the agents. (what is the location of the agent folder and I can manually look at the  version) I am not missing anything. its an issue with VBR that's why I am on this forum. I have been an IT guy for 32 years and in that time I haven't had to ask for help that often. As for this issue I have googled, read, you name it I have done it all before I ask for help. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Johnnyz when you say add the agent to VBR, are you referring to you’ve installed the agent on a machine and now you want to add that agent within VBR to manage, or do you mean patching the version of the agent used by VBR?

As long as you’re running the latest version of VBR (v11a, released 7th October), the agent will be up to date, if you’re running standalone then it’s Veeam Agent for Windows 5.0.1, also released 7th October, download links for these are here (sign in required).

If you’re trying to integrate a standalone Agent into Veeam B&R, all the help documentation is here.

If you’re trying to deploy an agent to protect a new machine, this documentation should help.

Userlevel 4

no standalone, all installs and configures via the VBR server. I have updated it to 11a and its not updating the already installed windows agents and its not installing the agent on the new windows 11 workstations. 

I am on version 11.0.1.1261 isent that 11a?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This is the location of packages on the VBR Server - C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Packages (if not C drive then drive of install)

The MSI files should be dated around Sept 23rd I believe for the latest version for 11a.

Userlevel 4

So I am thinking its just a problem with the agent not supporting Windows 11.

I just looked and it says the windows agent installed is version 5.0.1.4584, so I think the VBR server is fine. its saying “Microsoft Windows 10 (Next, 64-bit, Technical Preview)" for the client, thats not right.

So on those clients, the ones that the agent was already installed on windows 10 and then the workstations were upgraded to Windows 11, they backup with a “warning” saying:  Backup agent installation is not required Microsoft Windows version installed on this machine is not officially supported by Veeam yet,

On the New Windows 11 workstations, the agent wont install from the VBR server, and when backups  run I get the “error” saying: Host is unreachable. Unable to install backup agent: cannot connect to JZ-LAPTOP Error: The network path was not found. The network path was not found. (ERROR_BAD_NETPATH).

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yeah I have the Agent 5.0.1 on my Win11 laptop but only back up to USB drive.  I have not tested the integration with VBR but will now as I have a VM with Win11 DEV Insider so if I can figure it out will post details. :smiley:

Userlevel 4

Ya as far as I can tell the standalone 5.0.1 works fine.

But I am not using the stand alone. It doesn't work well or all all from VBR. I hope they have a fix for this soon. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

So I am thinking its just a problem with the agent not supporting Windows 11.

I just looked and it says the windows agent installed is version 5.0.1.4584, so I think the VBR server is fine. its saying “Microsoft Windows 10 (Next, 64-bit, Technical Preview)" for the client, thats not right.

So on those clients, the ones that the agent was already installed on windows 10 and then the workstations were upgraded to Windows 11, they backup with a “warning” saying:  Backup agent installation is not required Microsoft Windows version installed on this machine is not officially supported by Veeam yet,

On the New Windows 11 workstations, the agent wont install from the VBR server, and when backups  run I get the “error” saying: Host is unreachable. Unable to install backup agent: cannot connect to JZ-LAPTOP Error: The network path was not found. The network path was not found. (ERROR_BAD_NETPATH).

As an MCSA and from experience for working on a Win11 environment, I unfortunately say that Windows 11 is still premature and with numerous bugs (for example and sorry for OT, on my VMware machine I'm not able to power on vm with more than 1 CPU).

I hope this is not one of these cases and one of these Veeam Legend people here made a magic, otherwise you risk spending more than 3 days waiting for a fix...

Userlevel 4

As an IT pro I have to keep up with things. I am always learning and trying things. I am simply saying Veeam B&R does not work with Windows 11. My clients will be asking me about this one of these days and I hope I will have a good answer for them. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Ya as far as I can tell the standalone 5.0.1 works fine.

But I am not using the stand alone. It doesn't work well or all all from VBR. I hope they have a fix for this soon. 

I tested my Win11 VM from my home VBR server by adding a Protection Group and then deploying the agent.  It worked without issues.

Userlevel 4

I just tried a new group and still doesn't work for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I just tried a ne group and still doesn't work for me.

That is odd cause it worked first time for me. Unsure now what to suggest.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That is odd for sure that it will not work.  Unsure what else to suggest now. :joy:

Userlevel 4

I’ve been using VBR for years and never had any issues. This windows 11 issue is the first time. I just thought I would report the issues because Veeam says it is supported.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I might suggest at this point to open a case with Veeam as maybe the logs might show something that they can help address.  Best of luck.

Userlevel 4

Well I will give it a couple weeks. Windows 11 just came out. I guess they need more time to figure things out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Well I will give it a couple weeks. Windows 11 just came out. I guess they need more time to figure things out.

You may have mentioned this earlier and I missed it, is it an upgraded windows 10 to 11 machine or fresh install? And it’s the RTM/GA release of win 11 not an insider build?

I only ask as Windows 11 has been a bit of a messy launch, I’ve even seen issues where upgrading 10 to 11 has left the windows 10 start menu in place!

Userlevel 4

I have talked about that earlier. I have one upgraded and 2 fresh installs. 

Userlevel 4

I am still waiting for support for Windows 11 in VBR. I have lots of clients that want to use windows 11 but I have to keep telling them to wait as I cant backup the workstations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I am still waiting for support for Windows 11 in VBR. I have lots of clients that want to use windows 11 but I have to keep telling them to wait as I cant backup the workstations.

@Johnnyz

I have just answered you in the r&d forum :-)

Hannes and Dima from Veeam have both made a statement that testing is over and using the V11a release with Agent 5.0.1 with Windows 11 is safe.

The official documents will soon be updated.

https://forums.veeam.com/post435043.html#p435043

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Anton Gostev just updated the topic.

It is now officialy supported by Veeam V11a:

UPDATE: Windows 11 is officially supported with 11a.

Official Release notes are updated to reflect this:

https://www.veeam.com/kb4215

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Nice to see this supported now. I have been using the 5.0.1 agent on Win11 since 11a came out without problems though. :smiley:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Nice to see this supported now. I have been using the 5.0.1 agent on Win11 since 11a came out without problems though. :smiley:

Same as you @Chris.Childerhose 

Thanks for update @Mildur :)

Comment