What scripting/programming language do you use for monitoring/reporting/automation?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I am curious what languages are used by the community for reporting, monitoring and/or automation. I personally do a lot of scripting with PowerShell. What language is worth learning it?

I wish, Veeam will replace their PowerShell Plug-In by a PowerShell module in www.powershellgallery.com.

@Kseniya Just a little thing: when embedding code here in the community, PowerShell is no language-option. Maybe this can be added in the future? 

19 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I am using PowerShell, too.

But I will try to play around with the RESTful API in the next time...

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I am using PowerShell, too.

But I will try to play around with the RESTful API in the next time...

Fine! From time to time I try to use REST too. But even then I use PowerShell for API requests.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey @vNote42!

Thanks for sharing this idea. This is a good point, I will look into this! :nerd:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

We use powershell to check jobs with Centreon (nagios like)

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

So you trigger a powershell script out of Centreon and visualize the output there? Sounds good!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

So you trigger a powershell script out of Centreon and visualize the output there? Sounds good!

Yes every useful informations / alarms should be send to centreon in our company to be processed by a team 24/7. 

In fact nothing very impressing, you can use nsclient to launched your posh script. The script ouput just have to be the nagios standard.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I am curious what languages are used by the community for reporting, monitoring and/or automation. I personally do a lot of scripting with PowerShell. What language is worth learning it?

I’m also using Powershell for Veeam et vSphere purpose, but I’m also using Python for automation in Linux env.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I miss the second part for automation, we use ansible for Linux and Windows.
For example before the backup windows we generate temporary linux backup proxy to bring ephemeral backup power.

Userlevel 3

Powershell on Windows and Python on Linux.

We usually use NSClient++ to launch the scripts as @BertrandFR suggested as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thanks for all answers! For all those use Python: is it worth to learn it? 

BTW: Did you know - at least as far as I know - the name Python comes from the legendary Monty Pythons. For that alone it is worth to know more about it :grinning:

Userlevel 3

Thanks for all answers! For all those use Python: is it worth to learn it? 

BTW: Did you know - at least as far as I know - the name Python comes from the legendary Monty Pythons. For that alone it is worth to know more about it :grinning:

Absolutely! :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@vNote42 Thank you for the anedcote, did’t remember it hehe!

I’m from linux world so python learning was mandatory during my university studies. I love POSH too but if you work on linux and windows you have to use a langage who runs quite the same.

ps: I tried powershell on linux i was feeling MEH

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@vNote42Thank you for the anedcote, did’t remember it hehe!

I’m from linux world so python learning was mandatory during my university studies. I love POSH too but if you work on linux and windows you have to use a langage who runs quite the same.

ps: I tried powershell on linux i was feeling MEH

I understand!

What I do not understand: what means “MEH”?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

sorry too much 9gag

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Because most of you seem to use PowerShell/PowerCLI: VMware started a new PowerCLI Home Page: https://developer.vmware.com/powercli 

Looks great! They did re-think a few things. See here more details:

https://blogs.vmware.com/PowerCLI/2021/01/introducing-the-new-powercli-home-page.html

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Regarding vCenter interaction, I switched from powershell to GOVC. Night and day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Regarding vCenter interaction, I switched from powershell to GOVC. Night and day.

I think I never heard of GOVC. I guess you mean this: https://github.com/vmware/govmomi/tree/master/govc ?

Is it a kind of “desired state configuration”?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Yep. This is also what is used in the kubernetes vsphere storage integration driver (https://vmware.github.io/vsphere-storage-for-kubernetes/documentation/prerequisites.html).

Give it a try :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I’m on “Team PowerShell” here, but will add that I did some Perl work and it was easier for me than PowerShell, I felt like I could do more easier with Perl. But officially I still suck at all of that. 

Comment