What kind of storage for backup and restoration efficiency?

• 7 December 2020
  • 3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hello Veeam Community,

What is the trend for you to build a good repository for a large company?

I’m investigating for 2021 to replace our dedup appliance, i really like the HPE Apolo Gen10 to store veeeam data on xfs!

One node full HDD 50k~ 960TB, 512 gb ram, 4*25gb, xeon
One node full SSD 250k ~ 600 TB, 512 gb ram, 4*25gb, xeon

The second is expansive but could be usefull for application but very low RTO and instant Recovery DB!

I want to build something focus about restore, we’r no more dupe with xfs :)

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

What size dataset have you got for the production, what retention?

It’d be good to know what size you need for your latest backup chain as it may be worth looking at using a smaller SSD section within the same box for a latest chain or two for the immediate recovery acceleration of SSD but still able to use backup copy to a full HDD based larger and slower longer term retention storage.

From my point of view, I have one concern about this system - One node full HDD 50k~ 960TB…

It is Apollo 4510 with 60x 16TB, and 16TB HDDs are huge. If one disk fail, recover takes lo…...ong time. From HDD recovery time view the biggest capacity is 6TB.

Maybe you should consider ExaGrid dedup appliance. With Exagrid you receive best from both world - straight disk and deduplication, with cherry on cake with Veeam Data Mover which is integrated in appliance

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Exagrid don’have XFS integration so i have to pick one dedup appliance, i will stay on Quantum.

Already try disk recovering on hp apolo gen8 , it was noot too long. Otherwise it depends if you use RAID ou erasure coding to protect your data on disks.

Comment