Solved

What is the use of CBT drivers and how to work CBT ?

Userlevel 5

I am using Evaluation Enterprise License on Veeam server and actually I manually installed Veeam agent for Microsoft windows 6.1.0.349 and CBT drivers in windows 10 endpoint system.

As per my understand, once installed CBT drivers, if any file level changes then incremental backup will perform. But it is not happened. So what is the use of CBT and how to work ?

icon

Best answer by wesmrt 9 February 2024, 13:29

View original

26 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The CBT helps with a more efficient method to change block tracking, but the backup will not perform automatically when a file changes. It will help to get only the files that have changed in the next schedule backup.

The user guide explain better about it: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agentforwindows/userguide/cbt_manage.html?ver=60

Userlevel 5

As per your answer,  It will help to get only the files that have changed in the next schedule backup. it is happening in incremental backup. then what is the use of CBT drivers.

As per guide ...The Veeam CBT driver is supported for volume-level and file-level backups.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The CBT drivers uses a more efficient method of get the file changes. This is the use of CBT drivers on Veeam Agent for Windows.

The Veeam CBT driver offers more efficient changed block tracking mechanism that will be useful for machines running applications with large database files.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It also helps with the speed/performance of the backups as well on top of what Wesley has mentioned.  Backups are very quick.

Userlevel 5

Ok Got it

Userlevel 5

Having one more query? we want to schedule differential bakup job, then how to create or set ?

Because there is not available differential option.

Please suggest 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@wesmrt 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @Keshav Sawant, Veeam creates incremental backups, not differential backups.
The reality is that every backup other than your active/synthetic fulls will be an incremental so this will be very space efficient

Userlevel 5

having one more query ? if suppose i am currently working  with one file and already schedule the backup job. so backup will happen of that specific file or not ?

means my question is can we take backup of currently open file ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Like Michael said, after the first full backup, all the other will be incremental backups.
You can also schedule Full Backups periodically, but differential backups doesn`t exist on Veeam.

Here an example of my last backup on my laptop:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

having one more query ? if suppose i am currently working  with one file and already schedule the backup job. so backup will happen of that specific file or not ?

means my question is can we take backup of currently open file ?

Yes, backups are created on open files because Veeam uses VSS snapshot feature from Windows.

Userlevel 5

having one more query ? the encryption feature is available in veeam, but what type encryption is available like 128-bit AES, 256,DES 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It’s 256 AES for data, all details are here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/encryption_standards.html?ver=120

Userlevel 5

having one more query ? 

Simplest functionality to restore the data from the archival storage.

Means the already data backedup, but some of the file doesn’t open or any change since from last 1 year or 6 months. so software should be visible the file or any report 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, can you rephrase that please, I’m not sure I understand the question

Userlevel 5

Simplest functionality to restore the data from the archival storage.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You mean Archive Tier on Veeam Backup & Replication backups?
You can restore archived backups as described here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/archive_tier.html?ver=120

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/restore_archive_tier.html?ver=120

Userlevel 5

my question is that, if some the data is not access last 3 months or 6 months but full backup is happening. so is there any avoid or intimation setting available or feature available, which is identifyee?    

Userlevel 5

ok, got it leave this point

Userlevel 5

having one more query, the agent should be locked in uninstallation and quit from system tray?

Userlevel 5

please help for below point

If i want to be setting, the enduser should not uninstall the agent from system tray ? then how ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

having one more query, the agent should be locked in uninstallation and quit from system tray?

The system tray icon is there but can be closed as the service is running which does the backups.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

differential bakup

In Obi-Wan Kenobi voice

Now there is a term I haven’t heard in a very long time….

Userlevel 5

The system tray icon is there but can be closed as the service is running which does the backups.

Not getting your point.

My question is, we want set any setting or poilcy or prohibited setting in veeam for end user should not uninstall the agent from his/her system.

is it available any feature in veeam ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Not getting your point.

My question is, we want set any setting or poilcy or prohibited setting in veeam for end user should not uninstall the agent from his/her system.

is it available any feature in veeam ? 

No there is nothing in Veeam that can do this.  You would need other software, or the users cannot be local Administrator on the system.  That would prevent it.

Comment