Solved

What is the best way to backup a RPI to a Veeam Repository?

• 2 October 2023
  • 5 comments

Userlevel 2

Has anyone found a better way or backing up a Raspberry PI to a veeam repository other than using a script to dd the entire SDCard to a SMB/CIFS share and then backing that up?

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 2 October 2023, 11:40

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@MicoolPaul 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @mihai.cosma 

Welcome to the forums.

Have you tried the Free Backup for Linux workloads - Veeam Agent for Linux ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You could certainly try using the Veeam Agent but it doesn’t support the ARM architecture so you’d likely need to use box64 or something to get the code running, and you haven’t said which model and the amount of RAM your RPi has which would dramatically impact the ability of the application to run.

I wouldn’t use my suggestions for any production/important data due to lack of any support.

Do you need to protect the entire system or just some files?

If its files I would look at presenting the files as an NFS share that Veeam can read and then backup

Userlevel 2

You could certainly try using the Veeam Agent but it doesn’t support the ARM architecture so you’d likely need to use box64 or something to get the code running, and you haven’t said which model and the amount of RAM your RPi has which would dramatically impact the ability of the application to run.

I wouldn’t use my suggestions for any production/important data due to lack of any support.

Do you need to protect the entire system or just some files?

If its files I would look at presenting the files as an NFS share that Veeam can read and then backup

I tested this since yesterday with different folders. It does work so it's a good alternative to my previous strategy. 

Benefits compared to the previous way:

• it can be faster since it is targeted to a specific folder
  • you are relying on Veeam and it's retry mechanism rather than on a script which you need to check for succesful result

There are some drawbacks:

• if you chose a work folder with tens of thousands of files (which can easily happen when coding) it's extremely slow
  • NFS can only restrict file/folder access based on IP (not by user)

Overall, I would say it's the best approach if you can limit yourself to a clean backup folder, so thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Glad it’s working for you 🙂

Comment