What infrastructure tools do you use?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I would be interested to know which tool for IT infrastructure you use for your or your customers environment. Here is a completely unsorted list of tools I use frequently in various environments:

• PowerShell with various modules like VMware PowerCLI (by the way, version 12.3 was released today) and Veeam VBR.
  • RVtools. I think this is a widely known and used tool. Get a very detailed inventory of your vSphere environment within a few mouse-clicks. New version 4.1.2 was released yesterday.

• Brocade SANHealth. I think, this tool is not that well known. For me, it is THE tool for Fibre Channel fabric documentation. Just install the tool, put in data of FC switches, capture date. Then upload to brocade (respectively Broadcom). After a few hours you get a link to a extremely detailed, fully automatically generated documentation (Excel und Visio).

• As an alternative to putty, I prefer MobaXterm. There is a free and a paid version. It offers features like sending commands to multiple sessions simultaneously. Free edition is limited to saved connections.
  • HPE Library and Tape Tools. Tool for (not only) HPE Tape drives, autoloader and libraries. Can be used for driver and firmware updates, testing and troubleshooting.
  • My own script Get-VMFSPathCount :grin: to show the number of paths from hosts to VMFS volumes. PSP Policy is also displayed.

• FileZilla Client and Server for FTP Client and Server. FTP Server is useful for example for FC Switch firmware updates and configuration backups. As well for VMware vCenter VCSA backups.
  • WinSCP. I don't think I need to say anything more.
  • IOMeter for disk performance testing. I use it to check environments IO performance. But do not take outcomes to serious. Must be interpreted right :wink: For testing HCI performance, I prefer VMware HCI Bench. BTW IOMeter can also be used to test network performance.
  • vCenter Code Capture. Started as a Fling, it is finally part of vCenter. You start the Capture, do your task in vCenter and find used PowerCLI commands afterwards.

All these tools do not cause extra costs.

Let me know tools of your choice.

52 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi all… no one uses https://app.diagrams.net/

Yes, Michael mentioned it. But it was named draw.io at this time 😎

ops…. I didn't know that was its name. Thanks Joe

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

For the those still requiring or handling Bootable USB media these tools still useful.

VENTOY - Less time spent creating Bootable USB’s. Just drag and drop ISO’s to a folder on USB stick. AIO.

Ventoy is an open source tool to create bootable USB drive for ISO/WIM/IMG/VHD(x)/EFI files.
With ventoy, you don't need to format the disk over and over, you just need to copy the ISO/WIM/IMG/VHD(x)/EFI files to the USB drive and boot them directly.

RUFUS- Using this less now I have VENTOY

Still use PuTTY but with Putty Session Manager. Not been updated for a while, but lots of powerful stuff for when you got lots of sessions to manage. 

I’ll have to check this one out

Comment