Weird issue with Exchange restores.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I have found a weird issue that is pretty specific. My co-worker opened a ticket with Veeam, but eventually closed it with no solution. We found a work around so it’s not really a problem.

Here is the issue. We have a VMware Horizon Agent installed on our PC’s. This allows us the abilities to remote to them, using the horizon client, UAG, MFA, etc.   Even using a BYOD.

This all works great. HOWEVER, we noticed an issue that exchange restores have been bluescreening our computers lately. Multiple PC’s, different types, different accounts and so on.

After a LOT of troubleshooting, we found out it only happened when the Horizon Agent was installed. We took it further, to only when the Horizon Agent is installed, and USB redirection is enabled. We disabled that feature which is our work around as we didn't need it.

I was wondering if anyone uses Horizon, has an agent on their workstation, have USB redirection enabled, and recover mailbox items from exchange. It’s quite specific, but make sure you save first. It bluescreens us then restarts immediately. 

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Well, I wasn’t expecting to read that one!

You said Horizon Agent, so I take it we’re talking traditional desktop/workstation machines with agent for remote access etc on them instead of a VDI image?

What version and edition of OS, Agent and Horizon server are you using?

I can’t see anyway that would be related to Veeam, you haven’t specified what exchange etc you’re working with but I’m presuming that you drop an email back into the mailbox of the user and then their endpoint crashes? If that is the case what happens when you import mail directly into exchange without Veeam?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Really an interesting issue. I can't think of any way how a restored email would be able to crash a horizon VM. At what stage of the restore does the blue-screen happen?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Remote access to physical PC yes.

Tried multiple version, no difference. currently on agent 2209-8.7.0-20606795

Windows 10.0.19045.2486

Server 8.8.0 - 21073894 - we upgraded them as we had the issue on the last version too :)

We added the agents a bit ago, but it was the first email PST restore I had to do on that PC which is when it began… And ONLY when USB redirection is enabled… every version works otherwise. 

Not sure if it’s a Veeam or VMware issue. Veeam seems to be the only software having any sort of issue with it.  I did see something in the logs but it was a few weeks ago. I don’t know if it has to mount something virtually to the console or what. 

I know when VMware has USB redirection on it does some interesting stuff to allow virtual drive mapping on the VM’s and remote machines which I figured was a possible reason for this.  Unfortunately due to priorities I couldn’t dig in much deeper. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Really an interesting issue. I can't think of any way how a restored email would be able to crash a horizon VM. At what stage of the restore does the blue-screen happen?

RIGHT when you hit browse and Veeam explorer is about to open. I turned off USB redirection and it’s working 

It has something to do with the “Mount” portion looking at the logs.

Either way it’s good without it on so I'll get by.  Handy info if someone starts crashing their PC during restores though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Ahh so you’re using the Veeam console and explorers via the session? I thought it was that the user with the restored emails got the crash.

Comment