vSphere 7.0 U3b Released and 7.0 U3 pulled!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Morning all,

This slipped under my radar on Friday, VMware have fixed some huge bugs such as inability to enable HA on ESXi U3 hosts in this release. But they’ve also pulled the original U3 update due to issues with failing rollup upgrades! But you first need to patch vCenter before upgrading to ESXi U3b

vCenter Patch Notes:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/rn/vsphere-vcenter-server-70u3b-release-notes.html

ESXi Patch Notes:
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/rn/vsphere-esxi-70u3b-release-notes.html

27 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks @MicoolPaul  :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

The story about great VMware updates continues 🤣 Thanks for posting @MicoolPaul 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Very informative! Thank you for sharing @MicoolPaul 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for posting.  They also updated the USB NIC fling for U3 so will get the lab updated at home now. 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

The story about great VMware updates continues 🤣 Thanks for posting @MicoolPaul 

hopefully not! :scream:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Lately, BIGs with updates aren’t perfect at all…

Thanks for sharing @MicoolPaul 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Reading through the KB; did VMware pull the whole U3 update or only the ISO for new installations?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Lately, BIGs with updates aren’t perfect at all…

Thanks for sharing @MicoolPaul 

yes, these days it would be easy to stand out positively :joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Reading through the KB; did VMware pull the whole U3 update or only the ISO for new installations?

do you mean if the u3 is available as patch only?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@vNote42 The KB talks about the ISO:

IMPORTANT: VMware removed the ESXi 7.0 Update 3 ISO from all sites on November 12, 2021 due to an upgrade-impacting issue. Build 18905247 for ESXi 7.0 Update 3b ISO replaces build 18644231 for ESXi 7.0 Update 3 ISO. 

So I’ve you patch(ed) to U3 (without letter) with Update/Lifecycle manager your’re not affected?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@vNote42The KB talks about the ISO:

IMPORTANT: VMware removed the ESXi 7.0 Update 3 ISO from all sites on November 12, 2021 due to an upgrade-impacting issue. Build 18905247 for ESXi 7.0 Update 3b ISO replaces build 18644231 for ESXi 7.0 Update 3 ISO. 

So I’ve you patch(ed) to U3 (without letter) with Update/Lifecycle manager your’re not affected?

Yes, no 3-“letter”-updates available any more for downloading:

I understand it the same way: when you are already on U3, this upgrade-issue should be gone. But I recommend you to be very careful when updating to u3b, maybe some ugly but is still in.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I understand it the same way: when you are already on U3, this upgrade-issue should be gone. But I recommend you to be very careful when updating to u3b, maybe some ugly but is still in.

Well said, unfortunately 7.0 has really not been a smooth drive for anyone yet!

All we need now is another CBT regression and it’ll be the shakiest release ever!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

All we need now is another CBT regression and it’ll be the shakiest release ever!

NOOOOOOO :anguished::scream:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Means we need the real CBT: Continuous Backup Testing!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Means we need the real CBT: Continuous Backup Testing!

YES :joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Just found a VMware KB links:

vSphere 7.0 Update 3 Critical Known Issues and Workarounds

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/86287

vSphere 7.0 Update 3 Known Issues and Workarounds

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/86281

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

There is also a FAQ-article for vSphere 7.0 Update 3, Update 3a & Update 3b

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/86398

BTW: vCenter 7.0 U3b is also removed for download!

:scream:

What’s the matter with you VMware?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

vmware needs to stop adding new features and breaking existing ones. :grin:
this bug is chilling, anyone remember?
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/86100

Powering on Thin provisioned VM can lead to PSOD in 7.0 U3

VMware KB: Powering on Thin provisioned VM can lead to PSOD in 7.0 U3 : vmware (reddit.com)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Oh boy, cmon VMware, please? 😩

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

There is also a FAQ-article for vSphere 7.0 Update 3, Update 3a & Update 3b

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/86398

BTW: vCenter 7.0 U3b is also removed for download!

:scream:

What’s the matter with you VMware?

This was quite the read today.  Saw it in the vExpert slack as well.  Hope they get it fixed soon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Ok it's all my fault...🙈

Does anyone know what the issue is? Perhaps I'm too stupid, but in the articles I can't find any new information; it just keeps me Looping between them...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Ok it's all my fault...🙈

Does anyone know what the issue is? Perhaps I'm too stupid, but in the articles I can't find any new information; it just keeps me Looping between them...

Unfortunately it’s a mixture of the issues in their lists, they all impacted U3, some persisted or were partially mitigated in u3a and U3b, but it’s certainly an extensive list 😕

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Additional insights form VMware: https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2021/11/important-information-on-esxi-7-update-3.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=important-information-on-esxi-7-update-3

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Nice to see they found the root cause and are working to fix it.  Hopefully it won't take long.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

… VMware removed U3 for ESXi completely for downloading:

Comment