Vote for Veeam System Requirements for v12!

Show first post

44 comments

Userlevel 4
Badge

I think is a ruge, very ruge dropping. After pandemic and opting to drop systems with manufacturer support or very popular version is not good for business, I think. Slow and step by step (year after year). Is not better droping support of not used products (using telemetry or anything like this)?

I won’t try to keep this thread up to date as Gostev is already updating his thread in step, but so far:

vSphere 6.0 will now be the minimum instead of 6.5

They’re reviewing keeping Windows 7 and 8.1 support anyway so that’s great. With regards to Windows 10, you’re either on the still supported LTS branch or if you’re on a normal feature release cycle, they’re free and easy to patch up to.

Someone made the great argument of Windows 7 being covered under the ESU which has prompted that review. The other thing I’d like to highlight is historically Veeam have supported using the previous Veeam Agent for x with the latest Veeam Backup & Replication. So if Veeam did decide to drop Windows 7 support, as long as Veeam don’t break the -1 release support for Veeam Agent with Veeam B&R, you’d still get another year’s support out of this anyway.

Still, it’s great to see them being responsive about this.

Thanks for the answer!  Is very good see the company is listening the consumers and partners. 

About vmware v6 is very popular until now. 

Windows 7 is good to know is not going away. 

Now about the used systems, did you have data about using systems on VBR? Like telemetry or support logs colected using big data.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The only thing which I don't like is dropping support for older Windows 10 releases. I can't keep up with what release/build is supported and from the outside every build looks almost the same. I'm glad that I don't have do manage client systems…

For everything else I don't see a problem. If you have a software which drops out of support then just don't upgrade to the next major release of Veeam. Although you won't receive any patches for that version, Veeam will still support you for some time.

http://www.veeam.com/support/releasestatus.pdf

I can understand both sides of this. Ultimately as Microsoft release Feature Updates twice a year, it adds a lot to Veeam’s Quality Control (QC) to test for each feature update. Microsoft will support a feature update for 18 months after its original release unless you’re an Enterprise or Education customer, in which case it’s for 2.5 years. In my opinion what I find most surprising about the Windows feature update process is that Microsoft offer “Long Term Servicing Channel” builds just to Enterprise/IoT builds that offer the traditional just security updates, no new features approach with the 10 year support. Enterprise customers could look at just updating LTSC whenever it suits based on this.

But wait it gets better! Starting with the next LTSC release it’ll now be 5 years of support instead of 10.

The above creates a massive mess for Veeam as they need to continue developing for currently supported OS’s, but Microsoft are moving the goalposts constantly!

For example 1809 is no longer supported apart from in LTSC, but as the code bases no longer match, Veeam can’t just support the LTSC and hope that 1809 and the LTSC don’t differ from an exploit remediation perspective.

Based on all the messes listed above I’d be happy if Veeam just did the 2.5 year supported feature updates and the LTSCs, anything more and we’ll be complaining about delays to Veeam releases due to all the testing!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Whether it would be possible to get support for this?

Maybe Windows 3.1 whilst we’re at it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I loved Blake’s reply to this:

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@BertrandFR ...stay tuned!..is all I’ll say ;)

@regnor ...interestingly enough, my Win10 VM just auto-restarted 2 days ago to upgrade itself to a new build. I’m with you...can’t stay current with what MS rolls out. And, think each new one is pointless. I don’t like how Win Update changed the past few yrs not allowing us to choose what we think is needed (update-wise) for our own systems/apps. Eh well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@MicoolPaul ...going into an office will *ALWAYS* be a thing for me. Can’t stand WFH! :/

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

By the way if you are feeling old and want to take a walk down memory lane, here is a great site https://archiveos.org

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Nope this is next, 

Hey, you got my Desktop wallpaper :sunglasses:

I liked Warp 4 very much and worked a lot with it at banks and assurances in Germany… Oh, oh, I am getting old. Grampa talks about the war….:sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I cannot disagree with that comment @regnor 😁

Well now that’s unfair. It was great the one time it installed, without issue, without an automatic reboot and without breaking anything! Or that might’ve been MacOS X 🤷 I remember there being a 10… now I think about it, it was a Mac, ignore me! 😉

Sure it wasn't Windows but anything else. 🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@MicoolPaul ...going into an office will *ALWAYS* be a thing for me. Can’t stand WFH! :/

I’m the complete opposite, unless I’m deploying infrastructure, I’m connected remotely to someone’s machine anyway, so my job is no different where in the world I do that from. I get less distracted at home as I can disable Teams and avoid constant spamming of messages, and crucially I get to see my family when I take comfort breaks or walk my dogs on a lunch break.

There’s always benefits to each but for me the office is a social space now, not a work space. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

A lotta folks feel the same as you I think. Just not me 😁 I *need* the social interaction. But, I can end it quickly if needed when work needs to get done. I don't do much h/w work either...only during refresh or rare new implementations. I could easily work from home, if we were allowed to, but I prefer not to.

Cheers bud. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Nope this is next, 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Nope this is next, 

:rofl:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@regnor ...interestingly enough, my Win10 VM just auto-restarted 2 days ago to upgrade itself to a new build. I’m with you...can’t stay current with what MS rolls out. And, think each new one is pointless. I don’t like how Win Update changed the past few yrs not allowing us to choose what we think is needed (update-wise) for our own systems/apps. Eh well.

I would even go as far and say I don't like anything about Windows Updates at all 🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I cannot disagree with that comment @regnor 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Nope this is next, 

Hey, you got my Desktop wallpaper :sunglasses:

I liked Warp 4 very much and worked a lot with it at banks and assurances in Germany… Oh, oh, I am getting old. Grampa talks about the war….:sunglasses:

ah you mean the *nix vs MS battles :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I would even go as far and say I don't like anything about Windows Updates at all 🤣

Uncle Bill always knows best,, now hide that program data folder from the kids quick :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

😂 Good stuff @Geoff Burke haha 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

NDS was ok; but was generally just another layer on AD (how orgs I worked for used it)

Comment