Question

VMDK ID Changed

Hello,

I need some advise if the VMDK ID is changed and Veeam is not able to find those VM anymore.

Recently had to rebuild the host and add VM from the datastore, however their VMDK ID has been changed. Veeam is not longer detecting those VMs. I tired remapping the VM, however, its not continuing on previous chain and creating new restore point.

Any advise if we can do anything about it?

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If that is the case then you will need to continue with the new chain and proceed from there.

Thanks @Chris.Childerhose for info.

I also have one follow up question. Will it be better to create new backup job and configure it rather than adding in old job?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks @Chris.Childerhose for info.

I also have one follow up question. Will it be better to create new backup job and configure it rather than adding in old job?

Yeah you could to start fresh so everything is new.  It would be a good idea.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @SusantPoudel -

if you removed VMs from the Host or vCenter Server inventory then re-add them to Inventory, there is nothing you can do about the VM RefID for Veeam in a supported way. As Chris shared, Veeam will create a new Full then start a backup chain from it as normal.

If you wanted to try to modify moRefs in your Veeam database, you can attempt to. I found this Forum post where a member posted the steps:

https://forums.veeam.com/vmware-vsphere-f24/manually-updating-moref-ids-t61851.html

But keep in mind...it isn’t officially supported.

Comment