Solved

VeeamBackup Database Backups?

Userlevel 3

Every other database in our enterprise is being backed up except for the VeeamBackup database.  So, my question is - Should I run a native SQL backup on it? 

We have been running Veeam Backup & Replication (Version 11) for a few months now. It has been backing up our VMs and SQL databases except for that one.  I looked in the job and there’s no reason (e.g., exclusions) listed for omitting this database.  

I logged a ticket with the HelpDesk but have not heard back from them yet. 

Have others noticed this problem?  If so, how did you address it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 16 March 2022, 15:43

View original

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @GLFHCDBA -

Your VBR DB is being backed up actually. Go into your Option settings in the Console and you can see to where & how often. You can also redirect the backup to go to a Repository of you wish (recommended).

Cheers! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @GLFHCDBA 

You can backup the veeam database with native sql methods.

But in case of recover the database with a new vbr installation/system, you need to provide each credentials again. The new veeam server os will not be able to decrypt the credentials inside the sql database.

The credentials can only be restored with an encrypted veeam configuration database backup. That‘s the recommended way to create configuration backups of a veeam server.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

See about the Config DB here:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/vbr_config.html?ver=110

Userlevel 3

Thanks for your prompt replies.  I generate a report every morning and, across all of the SQL servers I manage, the VeeamBackup database is the only on that it shows that’s not backed up.  So, if that’s the case, then I want to make sure that it gets backed up one way or another.  

Maybe I need another way to verify that the backups were done….

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

In the notifications area of the Config DB window in the VBR Console, you can set notifications for yourself. 

Userlevel 3

I have a series of PowerShell reports that I review every morning.  They are set up to send me emails upon completion and include a full array of information that includes a summary of SQL errors, job failures, integrity (DBCC) checks, and other metrics that have occurred within the past 24 hours.  These reports are in addition to the alerts and (job) failure notifications that I get.  

This information have been very helpful in the past.  So, I’d like to continue using them.  According to these scripts, the VeeamBackup database isn’t being backed up.  It sounds like a native backup of that database is the way to go…..

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

You could at least check the most recent result of the configuration backup (which basically includes relevant parts of the Veeam configuration database) with a simple Powershell command:

(Get-VBRConfigurationBackupJob).LastResult

There may be even more info available in this job object, I haven’t investigated very much yet…

Powershell reference - Configuration Backup

Hi there

Maybe you are looking it from a SQL database perspective.

Veeam B&R backs up himself from the configuration menu, and packs everything he needs to restore a console in case of failure, isn't like backing up workflows or vms.

Also best practice is to safe that Veeam Config Backup in another location, not in the Veeam Server it self.

Userlevel 3

Thanks for your suggestions!  I appreciate all of your comments.  It’s time that I take a different look at this problem and, hopefully, come up with a different solution. :slight_smile:

Comment