Solved

Veeam v12 and StoreOnce replication issue

• 21 September 2023
  • 5 comments

Userlevel 5

working in a client env with veeam v11 and 12….just upgraded to v12.

we have issues with replication not working (started all of a sudden 3 weeks ago). Support said that it was a known issue in v11 and we needed to upgrade. Tbh I wasn’t convinced as its been working fine for some time.

Anyway we upgraded to v12 but replication is still not working.

You can see that the copy is seen as in-progress so Veeam is just trying to send data. You can also see on the storeonce side that Veeam files have landed/created with ZERO bytes. It just sits there for hours and you dont see any data being transmitted for some reason…..

We do have a call with support but just wondered if you guys had any ideas. We’ve involved HPE and run scripts on the storeonce appliances which are able to send files between the devices (1G files, 10G files etc).

icon

Best answer by MavMikeVBR 28 September 2023, 16:45

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@MavMikeVBR - Are you referring to storage replication orchestration with Veeam, or Veeam Replication?If Veeam Replication, that’s odd behavior. Have used Replication for years and not seen that issue. Curious to hear what Support finds as a resolution.

Userlevel 5

@MavMikeVBR - Are you referring to storage replication orchestration with Veeam, or Veeam Replication?If Veeam Replication, that’s odd behavior. Have used Replication for years and not seen that issue. Curious to hear what Support finds as a resolution.

thanks for the response…..this is via a normal VBR backup copy job based on storeonce integrated repos. As you know this is all veeam controlled replication at the storeonce level.

As said it was all working…..does seem very odd….

Userlevel 5

FYI I resolved the issue in the end. StoreOnce devices failed to resolve the -REP hostnames. DNS requests failed so adding entries to local /etc/hosts file solved the issue.

Not sure where Veeam support got the idea that it was a known issue and forced us into a v12 upgrade. Anyway at least we are on v12 now….

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

That is indeed odd. Veeam is pretty good with QA, but I’m sure there are some things “hidden” they may miss here & there before rolling out a major upgrade. Glad you got it sorted though; and thanks for sharing the resolution!

Userlevel 5

That is indeed odd. Veeam is pretty good with QA, but I’m sure there are some things “hidden” they may miss here & there before rolling out a major upgrade. Glad you got it sorted though; and thanks for sharing the resolution!

Hi, yes I’m sure. In relation to Veeam logs it was reporting link failure. Was a shame it didnt validate the -REP hostname which would have highlighted a DNS issue.

I took it upon myself to get onto the storeonce CLI directly. Thankfully HPE helped for me to get on the CLI as all storeonce’s are now HPE support only for CLI access.

Once I was on I was able to get to the bottom of it.

no problem, good to have these things documented if others get the same issue 👌

Comment