Solved

Veeam v12 - AD Explorer restore issue

Userlevel 5

I’m running Veeam v12 and performing some restore tests via AD explorer.

When I try and restore object to the domain (this is another domain we are backing up, not the domain the Veeam server is connected to), the credential window appears. Enter that but always get error box “The supplied credential is invalid”

here is the extract from the veeam log file:

Connecting to domain controller rd.domain.org (port: 389, user: RD\serviceusername)…

Error: The supplied credential is invalid

Any help would be welcome, thanks.

icon

Best answer by MavMikeVBR 30 January 2024, 11:00

View original

24 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Can you reach that DC from your VBR server via the network?

Userlevel 5

Can you reach that DC from your VBR server via the network?

I can telnet to port 389 from the veeam server to the DC

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Are the other required ports open as well?

Ports - Veeam Backup Explorers Guide

Userlevel 5

Are the other required ports open as well?

Ports - Veeam Backup Explorers Guide

thanks but these ports have all been added to the firewall rules. I’m testing them to make sure haha

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Not sure if this page will help but it also mentions the GC server as well that you can change - Step 2. Specify Connection Parameters - Veeam Backup Explorers Guide

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@MavMikeVBR - just to make sure, are you using credentials in the correct format: domain\username , of the domain you’re restoring to?

Userlevel 5

thanks for the links but have tried those, all ports ok and still get “error: the supplied credential is invalid”.  does it need to be a particular format and also any logs we can check from the AD server side?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

thanks for the links but have tried those, all ports ok and still get “error: the supplied credential is invalid”.  does it need to be a particular format and also any logs we can check from the AD server side?

The format is usually as mentioned - domain\username or username@domain as both should work.

If you check in C:\ProgramData\Veeam\ --- there should be a directory for the AD Explorer and then logs below that.  This is still an issue with validating the creds and should it continue I suggest a support ticket with Veeam.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @MavMikeVBR -

Yes...as I shared above, the credentials need to be in the domain\username format. Try that if you haven't & see if it works. 

Userlevel 5

still not working using the relevant formats, so having to resort to support I think. Logfiles dont seem to be helpful either….hmmmm

thanks so far for the input

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

still not working using the relevant formats, so having to resort to support I think. Logfiles dont seem to be helpful either….hmmmm

thanks so far for the input

Hopefully Support can help you out.  Keep us posted with the results.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Another curious question @MavMikeVBR ....it's the account you're using a local admin to the server you're restoring to? Is it a domain admin acct?

Userlevel 5

yes correct

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Have you tried to specify a dedicated domain controller and global catalog server (gear icon) in the restore wizard? 

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/explorers/vead_restore_wizard.html?ver=120

And also, can you resolve the target domain and domain controllers via DNS?

Userlevel 5

Have you tried to specify a dedicated domain controller and global catalog server (gear icon) in the restore wizard? 

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/explorers/vead_restore_wizard.html?ver=120

And also, can you resolve the target domain and domain controllers via DNS?

yes have tried that as well. Failed…..think support is needed

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yeah....agreed at this point I think Support is your best bet. Keep us posted on what they find if you could. 

Userlevel 5

sure, will keep you posted

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @MavMikeVBR -

Did Support get you sorted? Was curious what the resolution was.

Userlevel 5

Hi, not yet however we have an issue with AD trust so cant restore. Veeam server is part of AD uk.client.com and we’ve backed up hosts in dev.client.com. There is a security issue so we cant restore to dev AD when the veeam server is in uk.client.com.

We did speak to Veeam support and they did say that the user you are using to perform the restore must also be a Veeam admin, so this could be the fix….

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ah, ok. Keep us posted. Thanks for the update. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Nice to hear support pointed you in the right direction and hopefully things work out.

Userlevel 5

Nice to hear support pointed you in the right direction and hopefully things work out.

thanks Chris, yes they did but due to the AD trust issues we cant actually execute the restore to try haha….we are looking at other options but at least we know the user has to be registered in veeam as a veeam administrator

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

thanks Chris, yes they did but due to the AD trust issues we cant actually execute the restore to try haha….we are looking at other options but at least we know the user has to be registered in veeam as a veeam administrator

Yeah AD can be tricky for sure. Hopefully there is some sort of workaround for a minor test even.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @MavMikeVBR - just following up to see if Support provided a solution?

Comment