Solved

Veeam v12.1 Migrate + Upgrade

• 11 December 2023
  • 4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hello community,

I’m working for a customer with a v12 using MS SQL and I have to install the latest v12.1 on a new VBR server with PostgreSQL.

Reading the documentation, I see that “Veeam Backup & Replication supports configuration database migration between different database engines only within the same Veeam Backup & Replication version”.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/vbr_config_migrate.html?ver=120

Can you confirm that I must install v12 on the new VBR server, migrate the configuration and then upgrade to v12.1?

Is the migration scenario between same db engine still supported within the upgrade?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 11 December 2023, 15:08

View original

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Interesting I missed that bullet @marco_s . I migrated one of my VBR servers from SQL > PGSQL a few months ago, and it was VBR 11 (latest update/release of it) to VBR12, and it went flawlessly. I’m not sure if that bullet was in the docs back then & this is a new entry for 12.1 or not?. Or, if it was there, it may be it’s possible to do, but just not supported? For confirmation, I highly recommend contacting support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes, migrating the same version first then upgrading to v12.1 is the path to take.  If you install 12.1 on the new server, it has a different format as we all know in the database scheme with updated versions.  To be safe I would do 12 → 12 migrate from SQL to Postgres.  Then once on Postgres in v12 upgrade to 12.1.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thank you very much guys, you are always helpful!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thank you very much guys, you are always helpful!!

Not a problem let us know how it goes but doing the same version first for migrating then upgrade is the path to take.  😉

Comment