Skip to main content

We’ve installed the SQL Server Plug-in on a couple of test boxes, but the Veeam toolbar isn’t showing up in SSMS when we open it up. Is there a trick to get it to show up so our DBA can manage Veeam backups from within SSMS?

We installed the plug-in with an account that was in the local Administrators group. We right-clicked and selected “run as administrator” when we launched the installer. We went through the Veeam Plugin Configuration application. But after all of that, when we open SSMS the Veeam toolbar doesn’t show up like it does in all of the demo videos. We’ve checked the “view” settings but Veeam plugin isn’t an option there.

Any help what we are missing would be appreciated.

Edit: Veeam 12.1.0.2131, SSMS v15.0.18369.0, Windows Server 2019 Standard

Check here - SSMS 19 is required - System Requirements - Veeam Plug-ins for Enterprise Applications

As noted on that page -

Veeam Plug-in Toolbar requires Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio:

• If you use Veeam Backup & Replication 12.1, Veeam Plug-in Toolbar requires Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 19.x.
  • If you use an earlier version of Veeam Backup & Replication, Veeam Plug-in Toolbar requires Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18.x.

As noted on that page -

• If you use Veeam Backup & Replication 12.1, Veeam Plug-in Toolbar requires Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 19.x.
  • If you use an earlier version of Veeam Backup & Replication, Veeam Plug-in Toolbar requires Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18.x.

Doh! I read over that a dozen times and missed it somehow. 

Thanks!

As noted on that page -

Doh! I read over that a dozen times and missed it somehow. 

Thanks!

Not a problem. Second set of eyes always helps.  😁

Thanks for the information,  I am using SSMS 20.2 and have this issue.   the plugin tool bar is not integrated with ssms.  Suggestions?

Thanks for the information,  I am using SSMS 20.2 and have this issue.   the plugin tool bar is not integrated with ssms.  Suggestions?

I am wondering if you need 12.2 for Veeam in order to work with SSMS 20.2?  Not sure 100% but would check release notes.

Thanks.  We are not at 12.2. I will look in to this.  I just got the plugin working,  pretty neat.  My App team is going to be thrilled.

Hi,
I’m on Veeam version 12.2 and on SQL Mnagement Studio 20.x the plugins are not visible.
Is this supposed to happen? I there any workaround?

Ok, I found the way to import the plugins in SQL Studio:

1. Locate your SSMS installation and extensions folder. With default SSMS installation settings, the folder location for SSMS 20 is C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 20\Common7\IDE\Extensions\
  2. Copy the entire extension folder structure to the Extensions folder (this folder: C:\Program Files\Veeam\Plugins\Microsoft SQL\Veeam.Backup.SSMSExtension)
  3. Close SSMS and restart it (as admin) to use the extensions.

Hi,
I’m on Veeam version 12.2 and on SQL Mnagement Studio 20.x the plugins are not visible.
Is this supposed to happen? I there any workaround?

It should work. Check the installation instructions to ensure and compatibility.

Ok, I found the way to import the plugins in SQL Studio:

1. Locate your SSMS installation and extensions folder. With default SSMS installation settings, the folder location for SSMS 20 is C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 20\Common7\IDE\Extensions\
  2. Copy the entire extension folder structure to the Extensions folder (this folder: C:\Program Files\Veeam\Plugins\Microsoft SQL\Veeam.Backup.SSMSExtension)
  3. Close SSMS and restart it (as admin) to use the extensions.

Glad you got it working.

Comment