Solved

Veeam Self-Service Portal Invalid Username or Password Issue

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I have a user who is having issue logging in to the VEM Self-Service portal. We have added groups to have access and I have added myself to their group so I can test every now and then.

I can login just fine as a member of the group but he keeps getting Invalid username or password error. We are sure that his credentials are good since he is able to use them on other servers and applications so it is only in Self-service portal where he is getting the error. He cleared his browser’s cache and used other browser as well to no avail.

I looked at the Veeam.WebApp.log, these are the entries that I see for the user

Connecting to [ServerBEM] under [current account]. Selfrestore mode

Failed to create user context from authentication data. Data: [Username: domain\user, 

Invalid username or password (System.Security.Authentication.InvalidCredentialException)

When I login as part of their group, this is what I see

Connecting to [ServerBEM] under [domain\myself]. Selfrestore mode:

Remote session opened. Internal service version: [1]. Windows login mode

Seems like he is being logged in using his workstation’s current account but I asked him to do a share so we can use my workstation and browser and he is still unable to login.

What do you think is going on here? Thanks and always appreciate your feedbacks!

icon

Best answer by Andanet 12 February 2024, 21:38

View original

17 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

When logging in to VEM always use either - domain\username or localhost\username depending on the setup.  The error message is clear, and my guess is the username format.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

We are using the domain format, and the format seen in the log is the correct one. Same as to what I’m using to be able to login. Thanks and will continue to look into the issue and update. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Is VEM installed on the same servers as VBR?  If so, make sure the user is in the local Administrator group as well as having them as Portal Administrator on the VEM Role settings section.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

The VEM is installed in a separate server. His account used to work and stopped working last week. The group that he’s in has a Restore Operator role and has been like that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The VEM is installed in a separate server. His account used to work and stopped working last week. The group that he’s in has a Restore Operator role and has been like that. Thanks for the suggestion.

What changed if anything recently?  Did you update to 12.1.1.56?  If it was working, it should still work so something changed.  Might need a support case to address it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Yes, I think I will have to open a support case. We haven’t changed anything on the server. We are at 12.0.0.142 and we have not updated to 12.1. In my case, bringing an issue in the community has faster results for me because of different suggestions. Thanks again. Will let you know how this got resolved. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes, I think I will have to open a support case. We haven’t changed anything on the server. We are at 12.0.0.142 and we have not updated to 12.1. In my case, bringing an issue in the community has faster results for me because of different suggestions. Thanks again. Will let you know how this got resolved. 

Sorry we cannot help further but at this point a log analysis is needed.  Keep us posted on the solution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @spider32 I have 3 questions for you: 

1. AD user is correctly enabled? 
  2. Have you checked if on EM or VBR servers firewall is configured to use right ports? 
  3. have you checked in VeeamBES.log some errors? 

Thanks 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Yes, AD user is correctly enabled and there is no issue with the port. I can login as part of the same group the user belongs to. I will check the VeamBES log to see if I can get more info as to what is going on. Appreciate the suggestions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I can login as part of the same group the user belongs to. 

This means you have the issue just for one user?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I can login as part of the same group the user belongs to. 

This means you have the issue just for one user?

Yes that is the issue he is trying to solve.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

One more thing to check is to see if the user is part of the AD ‘Protected Users Group’.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I really like posting here since people suggests different things that triggers ideas in solving issues.

@Andanet, thanks! I looked into Svc.VeeamBES.log and found the following error:

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer (System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception)

Had a chat with one of our AD folks. They were moving servers around different OUs within an OU. Short answer, they realized the problem and fixed the issue.

Thanks again folks! :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Great to hear you were able to resolve the issue from hints on the community.  😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@spider32 I’m glad to hear I gave you the inspiration for the resolution of your issue. 

you’re welcome! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I realize the community is not support, but I do love the “group support” that the community gives with multiple people able to provide different lines of thinking.  It’s super helpful and fast, so I tend to come here before support in a lot of cases, but often will have both in tandem.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I very much agree with @dloseke. If I need to open a SEV4 or a SEV3 ticket, I would post here first then open a ticket with support if it the issue doesn’t get resolved here in a day or two.

Comment