Solved

Veeam Recovery Media - Will not restore .vbk

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hello,

I am experimenting with VBAR11 in a home lab. The backed-up data itself is not important.

1. Boot into recovery mode via usb key. On the usb key is a .vbk file, no .vbm
  2. Use bare metal recovery option, veaam is not able to find the .vbk, if I manually select the .vbk, veeam complains about corrupted .vbm file.

So it seems that recovery agent, must have a valid .vbm. but in a disaster recovery situation and the .vbm is corrupt, how do i restore?

I do know that VBAR itself, can import .vbk without .vbm, so cannot recovery agent do that same?

Second question, using the the recovery boot agent, how do i mount the .vbk?

Thanks,
Dave

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 3 May 2023, 19:40

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Which OS are you trying to restore, and which one was the recovery media created on?  There have been some known issues with creating recovery media on newer OSes and you might need to find one that is not newest to create it to work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You also need all files for the backup chain including the VBM, VBK and any VIB files otherwise it will not work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Did you backup the Veeam Agent to a Veeam Backup&Replication backup repository? If so, and if I remember it right, you can’t take such a backup and point the recovery media to it directly. The only way is to restore from a Veeam repository. Maybe you can try that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Please see this thread if this helps you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@Chris.Childerhose thanks,

hmm, strange that recovery boot agent cannot recover a .vbk without .vbm text file.
yet VBAR can import a single full backup .vbk without .vbm text file.

In any event, using the recovery boot agent, can I mount the .vbk?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Chris.Childerhosethanks,

hmm, strange that recovery boot agent cannot recover a .vbk without .vbm text file.
yet VBAR can import a single full backup .vbk without .vbm text file.

In any event, using the recovery boot agent, can I mount the .vbk?

No cause the Agent uses a different method to do backups from VBR.  So hence why it is looking for the VBM file.

Comment