Solved

veeam patch update

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey Guys,

Has anyone performed a patch update? Please tell what can go wrong after that?

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 5 January 2022, 13:07

View original

18 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi!

Patch updates are normally safe.

Main issues I’ve seen are people not disabling their jobs prior to patching, resulting in scheduled jobs activating during the patching window.

Also be sure to perform a config backup prior to patching for extra reassurance.

Worst case, if the patch failed, you could do a clean Veeam install and restore the config backup. If the config backup is encrypted it will contain additional sensitive configuration items to make recovery even faster.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Potentially the patch can write to a bad sector of the storage and send the whole machine into error, but let's not be catastrophic. :joy:

As @MicoolPaul already said, patch are usually safe, but a backup or snap of your machine before upgrading is always a good idea.

For last (but this is only my opinion) should never be a problem if B&R machines goes destroyed and recreated, backup configuration job is important exactly for this reason. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I had no problems with patch updates up to now.

Normally the update deactivates the Veeam services, so no jobs will run during the update.

The most important thing is to create a Veeam configuration backup prior to the update. So you can rebuild your Veeam server  if the update fails...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Patches usually with Veeam work without a hitch as I have never had problems but as @MicoolPaul and @JMeixner mentioned always have a configuration backup on hand in case.  Best of luck.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@AnanduYou can reference below.

Before installing this cumulative patch, please confirm that you are running Veeam Backup & Replication 11a (build 11.0.1.1261) with or without earlier patches.

If you are running any Veeam Backup & Replication version between 9.5 U4b and 11, you can use the ISO “VeeamBackup&Replication_11.0.1.1261_20211211.iso” to upgrade your installation directly to v11a P20211211.

We can download this patch in here https://www.veeam.com/kb4245

Execute “VeeamBackup&Replication_11.0.1.1261_20211211.exe”

Click Next.

Click Install.

It will stop all Veeam services, then start the patch upgrade.

Click Finish after the patch 20211211 is installed successfully.

When you login into your Veeam B&R server with console, it shows all required components update. Select all components and click Apply.

It will update all components.

Click Finish after all components is upgraded successfully.

We can see the build number is changed to 11.0.1.1261 P20211211.

Release Notes of this Patch: https://www.veeam.com/kb4215

In my personal experience I had never had an issue with a Veeam patch, update or upgrade.

what I always do before apply any update, SNAPSHOT!!!

in case of emergency, just break the glass and roll back!

hopefully helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The configuration backup will be your best friend :wink: Besides the mentioned technical part, I would suggest that you consult the release notes and What’s new documents before upgrading. Make sure that there are no surprises for your environment, like discontinued applications/OS and such.

And always check the size of your datebase; with a SQL Express database which is near its limit, you could easily end up with a full database.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The configuration backup will be your best friend :wink: Besides the mentioned technical part, I would suggest that you consult the release notes and What’s new documents before upgrading. Make sure that there are no surprises for your environment, like discontinued applications/OS and such.

And always check the size of your datebase; with a SQL Express database which is near its limit, you could easily end up with a full database.

Yes the DB tip here is good and can definitely cause issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hey Guys,

Has anyone performed a patch update? Please tell what can go wrong after that?

You can reference my post.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

In my personal experience I had never had an issue with a Veeam patch, update or upgrade.

what I always do before apply any update, SNAPSHOT!!!

in case of emergency, just break the glass and roll back!

hopefully helps.

Exactly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Once I had massive problems during update/upgrade of a VBR server. But this was not Veeam but Anti Virus Software related. Important message: a snapshot has saved us a lot of time and headaches.

Userlevel 1

I forgot to disabled my jobs durinh the patch update.

Will the jobs get failed if not disabled before the patch update. Anyone ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes, they will fail as the update will stop services so kill jobs.

Userlevel 1

But after update is complete all the services are started i connect to my console & runned the job again & it still fails what do i do then ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

But after update is complete all the services are started i connect to my console & runned the job again & it still fails what do i do then ?

You check the logs as to why it is not running to see if there is something else wrong - C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup folder is where the logs are with job folders below.  You will need to investigate the errors in the job if it does fail but hopefully it will not.

Userlevel 1

You check the logs as to why it is not running to see if there is something else wrong - C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup folder is where the logs are with job folders below.  You will need to investigate the errors in the job if it does fail but hopefully it will not.

Okay i will check & will let you know soon.

Thanks chris

Userlevel 1

Thanks chris

Hi chris,

Just wanted to after patch update should i rescan my repository or is it not necessary ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks chris

Hi chris,

Just wanted to after patch update should i rescan my repository or is it not necessary ?

It is not necessary but you can as a precaution to ensure things are in sync.

Comment