Veeam on a Playstation 4? Why Not!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’m going to preface this by saying, please please please, never try this in a production environment!!!

But yes, it is technically possible to run Veeam Backup & Replication, Veeam Agent for Windows, Veeam Agent for Linux, and Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 on a PlayStation 4 (PS4).

‘How?’ and ‘why?’ are the logical questions to ask at this point, so let’s take a quick look.

The PS4 has been ‘jailbroken’ for some time, to the point that you can run Linux distributions on it, just like you used to be able to officially within the Playstation 3 era, for a while anyway before Sony removed the feature.

A developer called Noob404 has released a PS4 port of Proxmox, the well known hypervisor platform, and has managed to successfully get Windows 10 to run on their PS4.

As Windows 10 is a supported OS for many Veeam products, this does unintentionally enable their ability to run on a PS4!

Based on AMD’s infamous FX series of CPUs & APUs, the PS4 has dual quad-core modules, allowing for a total of 8 cores, though you’d certainly get better performance with a PS4 pro as the PS4’s CPU clock speed is only 1.6Ghz per core, with the PS4 Pro increasing this to a more respectable 2.13Ghz. Both models have 8GB of GDDR5 RAM, though the PS4 Pro also has an extra 1GB of DDR3 for its own OS functions.

With support for 1Gbps ethernet, USB3 and Wireless connectivity, it’s certainly possible that you could use the Veeam Agents to protect any OS installations you might make, or even deploy a VBR or VB365 server on the PS4, though it certainly wouldn’t make much sense as anything more than orchestrating your backup jobs or maybe as a low-end backup repository. As for the question of licensing Windows on a PS4, no comment!

So, if you’ve got a PS4 with a dead Blu-ray drive that’s gathering dust, this could be an interesting DIY project!

Where would you like to see Veeam deployed next?

12 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

It will freak out quite few people!

I love the idea of re-used hardware, 
My home lab is build up by re-used and second hand Hw, 

Nice one.

cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It amazes me that someone took the time to do this.  I have a PS4 but it works so don't think I will be doing this but knowing it is possible is pretty cool.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Fully agree with this @HunterLAFR, my PC is about 8 years old now, the PSU failed start of last year so I swapped that out, and other than a faulty GPU that’s been my only other injury on the machine for the past few years. I like extending out the lives of server equipment where possible!

@Chris.Childerhose haha same, I’ve got a retro collection so I like keeping my consoles in working order for the future, but if the drive goes, could be a fun project!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Can you believe I’ve not had a gaming console since….. <don’t laugh>… the original Atari days back in the 80s? 🤣

Thanks for the sharing this interesting take on where Veeam can be deployed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can you believe I’ve not had a gaming console since….. <don’t laugh>… the original Atari days back in the 80s? 🤣

Thanks for the sharing this interesting take on where Veeam can be deployed.

Sounds like a new project, get Veeam running on that!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

hahaha...well, I believe we wore out that thing. It’s been loooong since decom’d 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I’m going to preface this by saying, please please please, never try this in a production environment!!!

‘How?’ and ‘why?’ are the logical questions to ask at this point, so let’s take a quick look.

Of course...not in production…..   :-)

The why and how were my questions as well. 

It’s amazing the community that Proxmox has behind it, even though I absolutely detest the name.  And perhaps that very shallow reasoning is the reason I hate the idea of Proxmox.  Or perhaps I’m just a VMware snob, and hate hypervisors that aren’t VMware-based including Hyper-V, etc.  I know XenServer still exists out there somewhere too, but I don’t feel bad about that one not gaining much traction.  Still, it wasn’t all bad, and now that Proxmox also has some clustering capabilities, it’s becoming better baked for the professional world.  And...I read somewhere but I would need to confirm that it’s built on top of KVM, so that would certainly make for a decent solution.

But back to the point, while I’d rather play games on a PS4 (although I’ve been an Xbox guy beyond the PS2), I think one place folks would like to see Veeam is on Proxmox if possible - not sure how feasible it is, but if Veeam can run with AHV, why not Proxmox if they’re both KVM-based hypervisors.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I thought about running a small repo in my home land on a PI or small android/linux box. but havn’t got around to it yet. 

Try it on that brand new one you got next :P 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I thought about running a small repo in my home land on a PI or small android/linux box. but havn’t got around to it yet. 

Main thing there would be the binaries wouldn’t it, I don’t believe that Veeam have created any backup repository binaries for ARM (that’d be a great feature request though due to some of the low-power chips there!), but maybe instruction set emulation would be fast enough for low end at some chipset levels...

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Main thing there would be the binaries wouldn’t it, I don’t believe that Veeam have created any backup repository binaries for ARM (that’d be a great feature request though due to some of the low-power chips there!), but maybe instruction set emulation would be fast enough for low end at some chipset levels...

Correct. Other than a POC/Lab setting it’s really not worth it. Even something like a small Intel NUC might be an option but still, it’s really not going to work in a production environment, or have enough cores to really be a fully useful system other than a very small environment. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I have an old Datto Alto 2 appliance.  Works great as a jump box because it has two NIC’s so one can sit on my lab network and the other on my prod network.  The drive that was in it was replaced with a small SSD for the purposes of retaining the old OS and data should I need it (it’s been a few years, I can probably wipe it), and I reloaded with Windows 10, and now it has Windows 11 on it.  Would work great for a small VBR server though I’d have to use some sort of external repository (like a cloud-based object storage repo.  Might look into something like that.

Userlevel 2

I know what to do with my PS4, when my PS5 arrive. That’s a nice use case for a homelab (not for production). Thanks for sharing.

Comment