Solved

VEEAM Instant recovery migrate to production issue

• 1 February 2024
  • 7 comments

Badge

I did an instant recovery of 2 servers, these servers were from a different location and restored to a new location. Instant recovery went fine. When I migrate to production it creates a whole new server with the name -migrate. Never had this issue doin this to the same location.

icon

Best answer by MattM 2 February 2024, 12:51

View original

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I don’t recall IR ever doing that before either. I also never do so to a different location. There is an option to create a server name for different location. Did you verify if that name suffix “-migrate” was somewhere in the name?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Also, what VBR version are you on? Are you migrating to HV or vSphere?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I have not used IR in a while but if I am not mistaken there is something in the wizard to specify the suffix I believe.  I could be wrong or maybe that is something new in 12.x if you are on that release.  Checking on the documentation.

Also, as Shane asked - what VBR version and hypervisor are you using?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@jackg3 - I checked the User Guide on VM naming for IR.

For vSphere, there is nothing in the restore wizard in which you can add a suffix...you’d have to type a suffix in the VM name field:

For Hyper-V, you can click on the Name button & add a suffix: 

Hyper-V IR VM Restore

But, both are manual operations...meaning, you have to type them in. There’s nothing I found to where a suffix gets added to an IR-restore VM automatically.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Maybe you’ve used “Quick Migration” instead of vMotion?

This will create a temporary VM with suffix “_migrated” as described here:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/quick_migration_summary.html

Userlevel 4
Badge

hi @jackg3 also check your vmware license; maybe the host in the new location can not use vmware storage vmotion because of a mising license.

best regards
daniel

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Great catch Matthias! Yep..that’s probably what it is because @jackg3 said it appeared when he “migrated to production” and the only options are Storage VMotion and Quick Migration. Jack, notice from the link Mattias shared on what the VM name becomes when using QM as noted below:

QM VM Name

Is the name shown above what you’re seeing with the underscore (VM-NAME_migrated) and not with a dash (VM-NAME-migrated)?

Comment