Solved

Veeam Datastore Remaining Capacity

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hello Veeam Community,

If customer have 500gb left in their datastore, how can I know or compute If how many days/months the 500gb will be? Assuming the daily trend average backup size is 900gb definitely it will reduce since there is dedup and compress in Veeam and have forever incremental sched. Thanks

icon

Best answer by Mildur 12 August 2021, 06:27

View original

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @JustineP try this website: Restore Point Simulator (dewin.me)

You can put in your source data size, estimated deduplication and compression, and specify your retention, it’s a good guideline and includes some working space.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Assuming your “datastore” word is related to repository, can you clarify your question? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @JustineP try this website: Restore Point Simulator (dewin.me)

You can put in your source data size, estimated deduplication and compression, and specify your retention, it’s a good guideline and includes some working space.

Additionally it depends on the filesystem you are using. But even that you can select at the site m@MicoolPaul mentioned.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes definitely check this one out as it is a great tool for these types of calculations.  Also if you have access to Veeam ONE there are some reports in there also for storage and repository spacing.  It will also estimate time remaining for a repo IIRC.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@JustineP : I think check with the “The Restore Point Simulator” as suggested by @JMeixner 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I used that tool in sizing the veeam, but for my scenario, need to know or compute If how many days/months the 500gb will be? Assuming the daily trend average backup size is 900gb definitely it will reduce since there is dedup and compress in Veeam and have forever incremental sched and have retention of 30D. :)

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Assuming your “datastore” word is related to repository, can you clarify your question? 

yes repository,for my scenario, need to know or compute If how many days/months the 500gb will be? Assuming the daily trend average backup size is 900gb definitely it will reduce since there is dedup and compress in Veeam and have forever incremental sched and have retention of 30D. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Look a the size of your vib files for today.

Do the easy calculation:

500GB / „Size of daily vib“ = days left

This will not be very accurate, but it could be enough to have a idea how long the storage will last.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @JustineP 

If you install veeamone there is a report called "Capacity Planning for Backup Repositories".
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/one/reporter/capacity_planning_for_repositories.html?ver=110

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @JustineP 

If you install veeamone there is a report called "Capacity Planning for Backup Repositories".
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/one/reporter/capacity_planning_for_repositories.html?ver=110

These are good reports for sure.

Comment