Solved

Veeam backup to nas, nas backup to aws s3, restore vm from s3

• 15 November 2023
  • 5 comments

Userlevel 1
my goal isI use veeam to back up my vmware vm machine to a NAS, and then I back up the backup files from nas to aws s3. Then I can directly read the files from s3 and restore the vm machine in aws.But I am currently encountering a problem. The backup from veeam to nas and then from nas to aws s3 goes smoothly, but my veeam cannot read the files backed up by nas in aws s3. Please tell me how to set it correctly.
icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 15 November 2023, 08:37

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, is Veeam the application copying data to s3? Or is it a third-party app or manual process? Veeam stores data in s3 very differently to the traditional VBK & VIB files so when attempting to restore it is looking for its S3 format and metadata. If you have got it configured within Veeam, what error do you get?

Userlevel 1

Hi, is Veeam the application copying data to s3? Or is it a third-party app or manual process? Veeam stores data in s3 very differently to the traditional VBK & VIB files so when attempting to restore it is looking for its S3 format and metadata. If you have got it configured within Veeam, what error do you get?

I do not use veeam to back up data to s3, but use synology nas to back up data to s3. Therefore, I cannot see the data backed up by nas on s3 in veeam.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi,

Then you’d need to use the Synology’s restore function to pull the data down before restoring. Which isn’t ideal.

Instead, you can utilise Veeam’s object storage support to backup to s3. It can use your existing backups to NAS as a source to read from instead of multiple backups from your production VMs. What is your Veeam license? As it is a licensed feature

Userlevel 1

​​

Hi,

Then you’d need to use the Synology’s restore function to pull the data down before restoring. Which isn’t ideal.

Instead, you can utilise Veeam’s object storage support to backup to s3. It can use your existing backups to NAS as a source to read from instead of multiple backups from your production VMs. What is your Veeam license? As it is a licensed feature

My veeam license is Enterprise Plus. What do you mean when you say that you can use the existing backup of the NAS as the read source?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That’s good news. This means you can do a backup copy job to object storage or add your NAS into a SOBR as a performance tier extent and add your object storage as a capacity tier extent, then allow Veeam to either immediately copy backups to s3 or age off older ones to s3.

Veeam is very efficient in its use of object storage. Instead of uploading each VBK/VIB individually, the unique blocks from each backup are uploaded in individual blocks, commonly 1MB~ (this depends on your backup job block size). This means that Veeam can reuse existing blocks instead of reuploading identical data, but also if you need to restore a backup that is within the cloud and 90% of the data you need is also identical to an on-prem backup, if you’re using a SOBR capacity tier then Veeam only fetches the missing blocks from the object storage instead of downloading everything again!

Comment