Skip to main content

Hello All, I am trying to backup a windows 10 pc and and restore it on a different machine so I have a backup PC ready to rock if something happens to the current one, the first PC has the windows files etc on a 1TB SSD but it only has 100GB used on it and I want to restore that onto the new PC but only onto a 256GB SSD so I don’t have wasted space, but in doing the back up the veeam software backs up the whole 1TB drive and when trying to install on the new 256GB SSD I get a VDS storage error and it doesn’t restore. 

If you are doing restore using the ISO media you can during the restore process change the disk sizing.  See this link - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agentforwindows/userguide/baremetal_disk_mapping.html?ver=60

Hey Chris,

Im still getting the same error after trying to resize the disk space: Resizing (C:) Error: Volume resize (shrink) has failed. VDS error.

i just don’t understand why the backup has got the whole drive backed up when there is only 100GB of data on it.

Is there a way to change the backup so it’s only backing up the data on the SSD not the whole 1TB drive?

Comment