Solved

Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 proxy disconnects and proxy Windows service dies on every backup. Anyone else seen this?

Userlevel 3

I had M365 backups working flawlessly and then needed to switch repositories. Somewhere in there, something broke. So I ended up removing the repo, removing Veeam M365 backup, cleaning up all app residue and re-installing from scratch, since this was a new, small instance and I just wanted it to be clean.

Now, every time I try to run a backup against the same recreated Org, the job will connect to the org, start resolving the objects, it finds the objects to backup but never actually receives any data. Shortly thereafter (30 seconds or so), the proxy service crashes and the portal shows status “disconnected” and Details “Job was interrupted”.

I have even tried putting it on a different VM and the same behavior persists. The only element that I haven’t recreated is the O365 implementation. I have also recreated the Azure apps/certs each time as well.

The logs don’t seem to show much. Below is the end of the latest log as well as the console view and some event logs. I am kind of at a loss here as to where the problem lies...

icon

Best answer by Mildur 29 June 2023, 01:52

View original

29 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Good old Mildur to the rescue.  I forgot that KB and the SMB part of it. Funny how it stares you in the face.  😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

You‘re most welcome. The statement about the experimental support is also in our user guide:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo365/guide/vbo_backup_repositories.html?ver=70

Our general recommendation for Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 is to use Object Storage as a repository target. VB365 backup data on object storage will have much better compression (40-55% depending on the source objects) and performance compared to jet db based repositories. Especially for service provider it‘s better to use object storage. 

And you may find new features around repositories in future versions of VB365 provided only for object storage based repositories.

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 3

You‘re most welcome. The statement about the experimental support is also in our user guide:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo365/guide/vbo_backup_repositories.html?ver=70

Our general recommendation for Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 is to use Object Storage as a repository target. VB365 backup data on object storage will have much better compression (40-55% depending on the source objects) and performance compared to jet db based repositories. Especially for service provider it‘s better to use object storage. 

And you may find new features around repositories in future versions of VB365 provided only for object storage based repositories.

Best,

Fabian

RTFM only works right when you RT right FM… My bad. :-)

Userlevel 3

Good old Mildur to the rescue.  I forgot that KB and the SMB part of it. Funny how it stares you in the face.  😂

If it’s not quasi-supported features it’s a leading/trailing space in the path… LOL

So simple a caveman could miss it

Comment