Solved

Veeam Backup Essentials License for two locations

Userlevel 2

Can I use the same veeam data essentials license for two office locations?  Each location will have one VMware Server and one VM for each server?

icon

Best answer by Mildur 17 July 2023, 17:40

View original

13 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Depends. When you say 1 VM, do you mean 1 VBR VM server? Or, are you backing up 1 VM? Because with Veeam Community Ed. you get 10 licenses free, but limited capabilities, which may not matter depending on your backup needs. 

Userlevel 2

We have a physical dell workstation that runs VBR and right now have the essentials (its like 400 a year) backup one VMWare Server that has one VM on it.  We are adding another office that will have the exact same setup and wanted to see if we can use the same license or need to get a new one (prefer paying to get support).

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

In that case, you don't need a license cuz as mentioned previously, you can just use Community Edition for free. Otherwise yes, you'd need to have 2 licenses... 1 for each site. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Unless your Essentials license covers more than one VM you could use it at the other site, but as noted Community Edition works well for 10 VMs.  It all depends on your license and what it is configured for whether you can use it at the second site or not.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hello @dabc 

Yes, you can use the same license for both sites. The only requirement, both sites must belong to the same company/organization.

If you install a backup server per site to protect workloads of those sites, you must install the enterprise manager to manage the license. 

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The only way you can get away with just 1 is of you implemented Veeam Enterprise Mgr. You could use that to manage both VBR servers & only need 1 license. But it would add complexity you may not want 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Mildur great minds 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Enterprise manager might be overkill for backing up 1 VM at each site. The resources used for Enterprise Manager might be as much as your entire site 😀

Technically, if the link between the sites is fast you could install Veeam at 1 site, and backup the VM’s from both sites. It depends on other factors like the size of the servers too. If they are giant file servers, copying all that data over the link may not be an option if it’s slow.

As stated, Community edition will do up to 10 VM’s and you are well within this range. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I thought so too @Scott . Can it be done? Sure. Should it be done? Prob not...personally, I’d just use Comm Ed. Though not spending a whole bunch on the lic, free is better 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I thought so too @Scott . Can it be done? Sure. Should it be done? Prob not...personally, I’d just use Comm Ed. Though not spending a whole bunch on the lic, free is better 😊

Agreed. There are a few outlying cases, such as if it’s a SQL server and he needs to give access for DB restores, or wants to run an index on a file server etc. Enterprise Manager is a great tool and has it’s place. I have a single Veeam instance and use it for those things, but I’m going to assume a single VM at a site is going to be a DC or a file server.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Indeed; many avenues can be taken, which is 1 of a host of reasons why I like Veeam → flexibility.

Userlevel 3

hi all,

i have query regarding license.

customer want to backup their environment with two different vlan, one is militarize zone another is dmz. now configured two vbr, how to use the license.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

hi all,

i have query regarding license.

customer want to backup their environment with two different vlan, one is militarize zone another is dmz. now configured two vbr, how to use the license.

The approved way to use one license with two VBRs is via VBEM, however as you’re talking DMZ & internal network that might fall foul of any security designs, if so you can raise a support case with Veeam to request to split your license into two licenses.

Comment