Solved

Veeam Backup and Replication problem for remove/update the product - VBR Version 12/ 12.1

Userlevel 2

Hi.
I have one Microsoft Windows server 2019 with the Veeam Backup and Replication that, may be it's still installed but isn’t work.
I did verify on the Control Panel I did see that the Version 12 it's yet installed.
I did try without success to update it. I did see different errors and for this reason I did decide:  1) to remove this version , 2) reboot the server and 3) try to install the new VBR version.
When  I did try to remove it , the remove process start but after some minutes the process did finish with different errors too.
On this situation, If I try to update, the normal process did finish with error and with I did try to remove too; I did see different internet sites and I did see the plan that I did copy below but, when I did try to remove the regedits keys, the remove process did fail (I did take all screeshot of every step).

I have one VBR 12 Community edition.

I would like to know if you know a different plan for remove and reinstall the VBR. I am available to lost the old installation. I need on this server install the new version.
Thanks in advance

If the normal process for uninstalling Veeam Backup & Replication 12.1 fails, you can try to manually remove it using the following steps:

1. **Stop Veeam Services**:
   - Press `Win + R` to open the Run dialog.
   - Type `services.msc` and press Enter to open the Services console.
   - Locate all Veeam Backup & Replication related services (usually starting with "Veeam") and stop them. Right-click on each service, select "Stop," and wait for the service to stop.

2. **Uninstall Veeam Backup & Replication**:
   - Press `Win + X` and select "Apps and Features" (or go to Settings > Apps > Apps & Features).
   - Find "Veeam Backup & Replication" in the list of installed applications.
   - Click on it and select "Uninstall." Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the software.

3. **Remove Veeam Backup & Replication Registry Entries**:
   - Press `Win + R` to open the Run dialog.
   - Type `regedit` and press Enter to open the Registry Editor.
   - Navigate to `HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam` and delete the "Veeam Backup and Replication" key.
   - Navigate to `HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services` and delete any Veeam-related services keys (e.g., "VeeamBackupSvc", "VeeamDeploySvc", etc.).
   - Navigate to `HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall` and delete any Veeam-related keys.

4. **Remove Veeam Backup & Replication Files**:
   - Delete the Veeam installation directory. By default, it is located in `C:\Program Files\Veeam`.
   - Delete the Veeam backup data directory if it exists.

5. **Remove Veeam Database (Optional)**:
   - If you want to remove the Veeam database, you can use Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio to connect to your SQL Server instance and delete the Veeam database manually. Be cautious as this step will delete all backup and configuration data.

6. **Restart the Server**:
   - After completing the above steps, restart your server to ensure that all changes take effect.

These steps should help you manually remove Veeam Backup & Replication 12.1 from your system. However, please proceed with caution and ensure that you have proper backups and permissions before making any changes to your system registry or database. If you encounter any issues, you may want to contact Veeam support for further assistance.

icon

Best answer by Ricardo Mazzarello 27 June 2024, 18:15

View original

15 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Well, since you just want a ‘fresh’ new installation, I recommend rebuilding your server OS, then installing the newest Veeam version, which can now be downloaded from below (scroll to bottom for ISO):

https://www.veeam.com/kb4510

That is your best option imo.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Sometimes you need to do some manual removal if the installation is corrupted and cannot be used to properly remove the software.  Always take care when doing registry changes and create backups.

Userlevel 2

thanks for your quick response! :) maybe I didn't explain correctly my case, I am available to lost the old installation if it's not possible fount another solution but I would prefere to don't lost the same and over all I haven't the possibility to recreate this server

thanks in advance.

Best regards

Ricardo

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

thanks for your quick response! :) maybe I didn't explain correctly my case, I am available to lost the old installation if it's not possible fount another solution but I would prefere to don't lost the same and over all I haven't the possibility to recreate this server

thanks in advance.

Best regards

Ricardo

Ah, ok. Understood now. You want to *keep* what’s on your current server. Got it. Yes, the steps you’ve outlined should work, as shared. But, do back up your system. If your VBR server is a VM, take a snapshot. And, hopefully you’ve already created a VBR database config backup if you want to keep your previous version configurations? If your VBR server is a physical server, save files off your server. The steps you shared is about as good as can be. Otherwise, since we aren’t Veeam Support here, you could open a case to get help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

thanks in advance.

Best regards

Ricardo

So you cannot find the old media is that what you are saying?  Sorry but it is not clear the issue and it seemed like you solved it by removing the pieces manually.  As suggested a new installation might be best.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hello @Ricardo Mazzarello ,
offers the server other services beside Veeam Backup?
This is not recommended due to security considerations….

The easiest solution would be to install the server completely new. In this case you don’t have any dependencies from your old installation.

Userlevel 2

Hi @Chris.Childerhose , I did try without success to remove the regedit keys.

WIth the normal procedure on the control panel : it’s not possible remove the actual version or modify it.

For this reason I did stop all the Veeam services and I did try to manually remove the regedit keys but I did see different errors how, for example, “unable to delete all specified values” or “Cannot delete Veeam Backup and replication : error while deleting key”.

Now the server, that’s physical server, have one VBR Version 12 installed but it’s don’t work

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @Chris.Childerhose , I did try without success to remove the regedit keys.

WIth the normal procedure on the control panel : it’s not possible remove the actual version or modify it.

For this reason I did stop all the Veeam services and I did try to manually remove the regedit keys but I did see different errors how, for example, “unable to delete all specified values” or “Cannot delete Veeam Backup and replication : error while deleting key”.

Now the server, that’s physical server, have one VBR Version 12 installed but it’s don’t work

Do you know what version is installed on there for v12?  The older ISO files are available to download on the Veeam site so you could get the one that matches the version, run a repair and then try updating to the latest release?

Userlevel 2

@Chris.Childerhose 

on the server I have the old and the new ISO (12 is the old version and 12.1 the new version) but I can’t repair, remove or update the version that still remain on the server - remain but I don’t work actually.

The version installed it’s one Community edition and for this situation I can’t open a support case on the official Veeam forum

@JMeixner , actually this server offer other services for this reason think to reinstall this physical server it’s complicate

THe procedure that I did copy seems clear but don’t works.

@all:

I would like to ask if anyone can suggest me one "manual procedure" to remove the actual installation without reinstall the Operative System, other applications and so on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Ricardo Mazzarello - do you have Veeam showing in Programs and Features again, or no? If so, try to run the new ISO and if it prompts you to repair it, try to repair. BTW, you can open a support case with Community Edition. It’s just that when you do, it’s “best effort” support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

@Chris.Childerhose

on the server I have the old and the new ISO (12 is the old version and 12.1 the new version) but I can’t repair, remove or update the version that still remain on the server - remain but I don’t work actually.

The version installed it’s one Community edition and for this situation I can’t open a support case on the official Veeam forum

@JMeixner , actually this server offer other services for this reason think to reinstall this physical server it’s complicate

THe procedure that I did copy seems clear but don’t works.

@all:

I would like to ask if anyone can suggest me one "manual procedure" to remove the actual installation without reinstall the Operative System, other applications and so on.

Run the old ISO for v12 and use Repair there instead of Add/Remove Programs.  See if that works.  Otherwise as suggested by Shane try to the new ISO and see if that allows repair or install.

If those don’t work then you need a support ticket even for CE edition to get this sorted out.  I am sure Support has a removal tool.

Userlevel 2

@coolsport00 

- do you have Veeam showing in Programs and Features again, or no? If so, try to run the new ISO and if it prompts you to repair it, try to repair. BTW, you can open a support case with Community Edition. It’s just that when you do, it’s “best effort” support.  → Yes, I  can see the “still” the program but when I try to repair it, the repair process fail.

I will try to open a case support.

I would like to says @all that “thanks for your suggestion”.

Best regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Ok; so I guess everything is failing? Even trying a repair when running the new ISO?

Yeah..try to open a Support case with Veeam. Hopefully they can get you sorted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @Ricardo Mazzarello -- were you able to open a case with Veeam and get this situation sorted out?  If you have an answer please post it here and then mark the best answer which helped you the most or even your own answer.  Looking forward to see if you were able to solve this.

Userlevel 2

Hi Chris. Thanks for your contact, I did open a case but the case did close without any intervention of the Labs because I have a  Veeam Backup and Replication Community Edition. Meantime, I did install another backup product how temporary solution because this problem occur on one production server.

Thanks for your contact.

best regards

Comment