Solved

Veeam Backup and Replication Ports Requirements

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

We are planning to replicate from DC to DR. 

which ports need to be open for this? we just replicate and recover from replication we also plane deploy the Backup proxy at DR.

Thanks 

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 20 February 2024, 15:54

View original

11 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Shaokat -

Here is a list of Ports from the Veeam User Guide you should allow.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Are you talking about recovery using Veeam Replication? Ports listed in the Guide cover all Veeam components. Do you run Replication VBR server separate in your DR location? This is recommended, if you’re able to do so. To perform Replication Failover in the event of mishap at your DC1 site, you don’t need a Proxy in the DR side for the Failover/Recovery process, as your replica VMs are just actual vSphere (assume you’re running VMware) virtual machines in vCenter with snapshots as restore points. So, when you Failover, you’re basically just going through Veeam to power on the vSphere VM.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have further questions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Shane sent the Ports User Guide link already that will help with that.
Basically the ports needed are from the Backup Server to the ESXi/vCenter server that you are replicating, but it always depends on your infra.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @Shaokat -

Here is a list of Ports from the Veeam User Guide you should allow.

I see this guide, I just need the inbound and outbound ports details, can you pls help me on this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Shane sent the Ports User Guide link already that will help with that.
Basically the ports needed are from the Backup Server to the ESXi/vCenter server that you are replicating, but it always depends on your infra.

what is the inbound and outbound ports requirements ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As I refresh the page, it appears Wesley already shared the area which you need to focus on. 🙂

Veeam doesn’t explicitly state for each port to be either inbound or outbound. But, I do believe communication is bi-directional between components so I believe both inbound and outbound connections need to be open for the given ports.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

And, when you install Veeam and its components (Proxies, Repos, etc), the installer already creates needed Windows f/w rules on the servers, as you can see from the Ports page in the Guide (see below):

Veeam Ports

So theoretically, you shouldn’t need to manipulate your Windows f/w. With Linux OS, you may need to.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

And, when you install Veeam and its components (Proxies, Repos, etc), the installer already creates needed Windows f/w rules on the servers, as you can see from the Ports page in the Guide (see below):

Veeam Ports

So theoretically, you shouldn’t need to manipulate your Windows f/w. With Linux OS, you may need to.

I need to open port from my firewall 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

“I need to open port from my firewall” ← ah, ok. So yes then..your network f/w does need manual configuration 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

“I need to open port from my firewall” ← ah, ok. So yes then..your network f/w does need manual configuration 😊

yes, in the firewall I need to mentions Inbound and Outbound ports, that’s why i asking for this

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yep..understood @Shaokat . Since the Guide doesn’t explicitly state inbound vs outbound, you can either contact Support or post for clarification from Product Managers in the Forum. Again, I think it’s bi-directional, but am not 100% certain (my environment is internal so no f/w rules need set).

I didn’t see anything definitive in the Veeam Best Practice Gude either. But, they have a tool I just found out about today, which may help. I’m not sure if the tool is just for Windows devices, or if it can be used for network f/w reference as well. You can test it out here.

Comment