Veeam B&R HA

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi Team,

I going to deployment a POC for one of my customer.

Customer wants to HA cluster Veeam B&R for his DC and DR location. If DC site Veeam B&R goes down then DR site take over the Veeam B&R. in this time need to ensure that no backup job will be fail. 

As per I know and below link Veeam does not support HA Cluster. 

Ha for Veeam B&R server and Ha for veeam one - Veeam R&D Forums

any one can help me on this issue?

if i go with always on SQL cluster is it work ? any one do any R&D on this?

Thanks in advance…………… 

12 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It may be working, but it is definitely not supported by Veeam.

So, I think it is a little bit risky for a production environment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

It may be working, but it is definitely not supported by Veeam.

So, I think it is a little bit risky for a production environment.

Yes. its a risky for production environment…. 

Hope that Veeam will work on this feature in future. …... 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes Veeam does not support an HA configuration.  The SQL Clustering might work but as noted by @JMeixner not supported by Veeam.

Another thing not supported but might work would be something like vSphere Replication for this purpose but again I have never tested that.

The easiest way to me would be to create a new VBR server in the DR site, install the same Veeam version on it and then if a disaster happens you just copy over the configuration backup and restore it to be back in business with maybe some minor adjustments.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You could put your VBR server on a VM and replicate this VM with VMWare replication.

Perhaps even with Veeam CDP - I don’t know if this works for the VBR server. A second VBR server will probably be needed

But the server will always be offline for a short time when it is switched to the replica. So, I think your backup jobs will fail in this moment.

And it is not supported as said before… :sunglasses:

The only supported procedure I know about is to setup a second server with the same OS and VBR version and do configuration backups on your main server. Then you can bring your server up and running again n minutes

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yes Veeam does not support an HA configuration.  The SQL Clustering might work but as noted by @JMeixner not supported by Veeam.

Another thing not supported but might work would be something like vSphere Replication for this purpose but again I have never tested that.

The easiest way to me would be to create a new VBR server in the DR site, install the same Veeam version on it and then if a disaster happens you just copy over the configuration backup and restore it to be back in business with maybe some minor adjustments.

i already suggest them go with Disaster Recovery but they are not happy on that.

Another thing is that i will go with share LUN for Backup Repo. so that if i go with Disaster Recovery then it will need to mount the LUN DR site also. Am i right ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You could put your VBR server on a VM and replicate this VM with VMWare replication.

Perhaps even with Veeam CDP - I don’t know if this works for the VBR server. A second VBR server will probably be needed

But the server will always be offline for a short time when it is switched to the replica. So, I think your backup jobs will fail in this moment.

And it is not supported as said before… :sunglasses:

The only supported procedure I know about is to setup a second server with the same OS and VBR version and do configuration backups on your main server. Then you can bring your server up and running again n minutes

if i go with CDP then my Backup Repo will also go the CDP?

if Backup Repo also go with the CDP then DR site need Storage for this. am i right ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

i already suggest them go with Disaster Recovery but they are not happy on that.

Another thing is that i will go with share LUN for Backup Repo. so that if i go with Disaster Recovery then it will need to mount the LUN DR site also. Am i right ?

Yes you could use a common LUN for the repository backup files and then remount that on the DR side yes.  You would need to do that and then scan the repo again after mounting it and adding to Veeam.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Mhhh…. I don't think that the repo is done with CDP. Or you put your repo on a VMDK of the server VM. Not very advisable….

You could put the Repo on a SMB or NFS share, then both server can access.

When you mount a LUN to another server then you will have to be careful to not overwrite it. And you have to rescan the repo to make the backups known to the new VBR server.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I would recommend to take a closer look at Veeam Replication . We discuss this with customers more often. But you will definitely see backup failing when VBR Server goes down.

I asked such question at last VeeamON. There seems to be no plan to implement such solution in the next release.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I would recommend to take a closer look at Veeam Replication . We discuss this with customers more often. But you will definitely see backup failing when VBR Server goes down.

I asked such question at last VeeamON. There seems to be no plan to implement such solution in the next release.

The most logical reason for this in my opinion is to prevent split-brain. I’d rather know that my backup jobs fail and invoke a replica/CDP failover than have backup inconsistency as two separate attempts to update a backup or replica were carried out concurrently!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Exatly, I was thinking the same.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Normally I do one of the following:

• Setup an identical server/VM at the DR site with a dummy Veeam installation and place the Configuration backup there
  • Use Veeam replication and replicate the backup server VM to the DR site

Depending on how stable/available the DR site is, you could also run the primary Veeam backup server there in the first place. So if a disaster strikes at the primary site, the customer won’t have any issues with performing restores. In addition you still can run a standby backup server at the primary site.

Regarding your backup repository; it’s not hosted on the same storage as the production VMs, or is it?

Comment