Question

Veeam Agent for Linux Oracle Linux 8.7!

• 19 February 2024
  • 7 comments

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi All,

As I checked the release notes for the Veeam Agent for Linux that supported most of Oracle Linux 8 versions but when I tried to install the agent I’ve got this error below :

2/18/2024 3:24:09 PM Failed [172.17.2.207] Failed to install veeam-6.1.0.1498-1.el8.x86_64.rpm, veeam-libs-6.1.0.1498-1.x86_64.rpm and veeamsnap-6.1.0.1498-1.noarch.rpm packages: error: open of kernel-uek-devel-5.15.0-3.60.5.1.el8uek.x86_64 failed: No such file or directory Failed to invoke rpc command  0:08:01

2/18/2024 3:32:10 PM Failed [172.17.2.207] Failed to install Veeam Agent for Linux: error: open of kernel-uek-devel-5.15.0-3.60.5.1.el8uek.x86_64 failed: No such file or directory Failed to invoke rpc command  

Can somebody let me know why I’ve got this as what I am looking for is using Oracle RMAN backup via Veeam Backup and Replication using Agent and Oracle Plugin

Appreciate your help

Thanks

7 comments

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

It might be worth checking this KB article regarding Oracle Linux 8 with UEK R7 kernel (5.15+).

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Mahmood.Alganadi -

Welcome to the Community! That error you’re having is due to either those few packages not being installed, or out of date. It’s great you checked the Release Notes, but for install and System Requirements, you should check the Veeam Agent for Linux (VAL) User Guide. From here, you can see all the packages Veeam states you need to have installed in your Linux system for successful VAL install.

I helped another user a couple mos ago with similar issues:

What you more than likely have to do is install the following:

python3
kernel-headers
kernel-devel

Before installing those, make sure your Linux OS is updated properly:
sudo dnf update && sudo dnf upgrade -y

Then, install the above packages. To do so, all you should need to do is run:
sudo dnf install python3 -y

sudo dnf install kernel-headers-$(uname -r) -y

sudo dns install kernel-devel -y

You may be able to use yum as your install package manager I think as well, instead of dnf if you’re more familiar/comfortable with it. But, so you don’t run into this error again with regards to your Linux headers, I’d install the ‘generic’ version, i.e. sudo dnf install linux-headers-generic -y .

You may also need to verify dkms package is installed by running: dkms status
If it’s not installed, you’ll need to install it as well: sudo dnf dkms install -y .

I think once you get all those packages updated and/or installed, you should be able to get VAL installed successfully.

Let us know how it goes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I also wrote a Hub article on how to successfully get VAL installed, albeit for a debian-based system (Ubuntu). But, the concepts are still the same. Maybe skim though it as well for more info:

Best,

Shane

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi All,

Don’t forget to follow KB article too: KB2804: Veeam Agent for Linux - veeamsnap and blksnap Extended Linux Distribution Support

Rovshan.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Thank you all for the great comments … I will try it and feed you back soon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sure. Keep us posted. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Mahmood.Alganadi - did you get your Linux Agent issue resolved? Did one of the comments help you out? If so, we ask you mark which one helped you as ‘Best Answer’ so others who come across your post with a similar issue can benefit.

If you still have questions, don’t hesitate to ask!

Thank you.

Comment