Skip to main content
Solved

Veeam Agent Backup Fails and computer freezes

Hello friends,

Currently running veeam agent v6.1.2.134 on a Win 11 machine.

Have a full back up running every 3 months with incremental backups about every two days. Backups run to a network share hosted on a centos box.

My issue: about every 5 days the back up fails and my computer freezes. It won’t kick the monitor, keyboard or mouse back on and I end up having to restart the computer by holding down the power button. I’m pretty sure it’s Veeam because it wasn’t happening before veeam and every time this happens veeam’s backup has failed. The backups will run fine the other times. There is no rhyme or day pattern I can tell of this happening since it’s every 5 days that it happens. So the last 3 failures occured on Fri 6/7; Wed 6/12; Mon 6/17. In between those I have successful backups and the 6/19 backup last night ran fine.

Any thoughts? I’m a bit stumped. Happy to share the log file.

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Have you checked the log file for the Agent backup?  Located here - C:\ProgramData\Veeam\EndPoint

Veeam should not freeze the PC as I have it installed on my laptop running daily without issue.

Would also recommend testing to ensure the network connectivity is working.  An alternative test would be to connect a USB drive and direct your backups there for a few days to test and see if the freeze happens.  Eliminate the network share.

Userlevel 1

I have a few log files, any thoughts on which it might be?

Is it: Job.VeeamEndpointBackup or Svc.VeeamEndpointBackup 

I also have some logs in a folder with the same name as the backup job name. In there there’s a log called Job.’backup job name’.Backup

I’m guessing it would be under this last one? May have to set it up to an external drive temporarily as you mentioned and try that out. I really don’t think it’s the network share since it runs fine other times but that would be a way to rule that option out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I also have some logs in a folder with the same name as the backup job name. In there there’s a log called Job.’backup job name’.Backup

I’m guessing it would be under this last one? May have to set it up to an external drive temporarily as you mentioned and try that out. I really don’t think it’s the network share since it runs fine other times but that would be a way to rule that option out.

Yeah the last one with the job name itself would be the one to check.  The others might help but if the job is running then freezing hopefully the last will help the most.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Yeah the USB drive is just a test and not permanent to see if the problem happens there too.  Then you can look in to the Agent software or possibly a windows update maybe causing the issue?

Userlevel 1

Will test these and then follow up. Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Will test these and then follow up. Thank you

Not a problem at all.  Just let us know how it goes and where you get to.  If you need more help post back or create a support case.

Userlevel 1

So I’ve tested it with a fresh 2TB, USB connected external drive formatted to NTFS (as required by Veeam) and still getting the same problem. Back up will fail and computer will not “wake” up and require a hard power button reset.

What specifically should I be searching for in the log file to understand what could be causing this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

So I’ve tested it with a fresh 2TB, USB connected external drive formatted to NTFS (as required by Veeam) and still getting the same problem. Back up will fail and computer will not “wake” up and require a hard power button reset.

What specifically should I be searching for in the log file to understand what could be causing this?

I think at this point you are better off contacting Support to open a ticket and get help troubleshooting.  I am not sure anyone here can tell you what specifically to look for in the logs but Support can analyze them with their tools to determine the issue.

Userlevel 1

Understood, thank you very much.

Comment