VCloud Director - Do You Use It?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I’m curious are many of us using vCD in production?

We have it but are still quite new into this journey and slowly starting to pick away at the features available. We have self-service enabled for backups and are looking to explore cloud connect DRaaS into vCD in the near future.

Do you have plans to deploy vCD to add value to your VMware deployments?

Has the acquisition by Broadcom affected any future plans to deploy it?

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Personally not in the MSP space, so not using..nor have ever used it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

We are a large MSP and our services have VMware as the backbone including vCloud Director.  So we use it heavily.  We are also a VMware Cloud Partner.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You know what’s funny about vCD??...how it was touted like crazy to use in its beginnings (obviously). Then, after a few yrs, everyone was saying it was going to be decom’d..even VMW folks. Yet, here it is...still around 🤷🏻‍♂️😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Its a good point Shane as it seems to have been around for some time (in excess of 10 years) and yet for VMware its still quite a young product and nowhere near as polished as it could / should be.

go figure

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Another large MSP here and our VMware stacks make use of VCD as well

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Small MSP here, but we don’t do hosting, so no vCD here.  With that said, at my old job where we were a hosting provider, we weren’t quite yet using vCD, but this was 7 years ago when it was a newer product.  We were making use of security permissions to setup multi-tenancy access in a vCenter.  I’m pretty sure they’ve since deployed vCD though.

Comment