Solved

vCenter shows disk consolidation requested by Veeam but also displays percentage of completion. What's a good plan to be able to restart the Windows DB VM?

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

vCenter shows disk consolidation requested by Veeam but also displays percentage of completion. What's a good plan to be able to restart the Windows DB VM? See screenshots below.

From what I know, it is not a good idea to reboot while consolidation is going on. However, this has been going on for at least 2 days and the DB residing on the server is performing poorly. I have requested the DB folks to try to restart the DB instead of the server but in the event that this would be the only option that is left to do, what is a good way to go about doing a VM reboot. I have disabled the job in Veeam and has cancelled another Veeam request to vCenter to run another consolidation (thoe one showing 0%).

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 3 April 2024, 16:42

View original

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I would allow the consolidations to finish as you can cause problems rebooting during as you have noted.  Nothing much else to do at this point.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Honestly, it’s best to let it run out if you can. I’ve never rebooted a VM during a consolidation process, that I recall anyway. But I don’t think a reboot would hurt anything.

Your DB is probably pretty large, thus the poor performance. A restart will only temporarily resolve the performance issue, not the consolidation issue...that’ll still need to happen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

hi @spider32 

the DB usually generates a lot of disk writes and IOPS.
Stop the DB, shut down the server:
From Vmware you can run Consolidate
or you can consolidate by running a storage vmotion.
if all ok poweron VM & start DB.

regrads

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Thanks for your suggestion. 

Yes, the DB is pretty large, close to 15TB and I’m sure storage vmotion would take hours and we would have to do it twice to bring it back to its home volume.

I was told that the DB has been restarted to no avail. Resource utilization is normal compared to several weeks before. So we’ll see if we can determine what is going on with the server before we do anything drastic.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ok @spider32 . Keep up posted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Sounds like a good plan.  Keep us updated on your solution so that it can help others that might run into this issue.  Once you get everything done be sure to mark the best answer which is closest to your question so others can see that too.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

As suggested, we just let the consolidation finished. It ran more than 50 hours, no snapshot present. I think there were so many changes being done on the server. No issue seen from the backup side. After the reboot, all the backups have run successfully and near baseline duration.

Thanks for your inputs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

As suggested, we just let the consolidation finished. It ran more than 50 hours, no snapshot present. I think there were so many changes being done on the server. No issue seen from the backup side. After the reboot, all the backups have run successfully and near baseline duration.

Thanks for your inputs.

excellent news.
thanks for the feedback.
Report the answer that helped you the most
thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for your inputs.

Glad to hear the consolidation finished and everything is back to normal now.  Not great it took so long. 😂

Comment