Solved

VBR / VBM on the same Server

Userlevel 4
Badge

I have a physical server with VBR 12 installed, the customer now also wants VBM and as repository the same as VBR, Say what against installing VBM on the same server as VBR?

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 9 October 2023, 19:53

View original

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

The first thing that you need to think is about your VBR repository. It is not a best practice to have the same hardware/server to VBR server and repository. 

I strongly recommend you to separate your repository on a different hardware. Other point that you need to think about is immutability. Linux immutability is one the things that we need to use as a part of security infraestructure.

Now, about the VBM you definetly can use on the same server of VBR. However, this is not a best practice too.

Remember that this is a thing about design and sizing. VBM needs 8 core CPU and 16GB of memory at least to run.

You can find this kind of information on Veeam Help Center and best practices of VBM 365

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You can install them on the same server but typically VBR is on the VBM server for client access to the Explorers and nothing else. It does not run jobs just VBM does.

Would recommend separating them personally as we never combine them on the same machine and I work at a large MSP and help design all the Veeam solutions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

To clarify, if you want to give remote access to the Explorers for M365, you would need the Veeam Cloud Connect license. The design of VB365 and VBR/VCC repositories is quite different so a deeper dive into your requirements would be essential. For one thing, if you are going to use local block storage, VB365 recommends NTFS while VBR recommends ReFS. For VB365, object is by far the best recommendation. For VBR, it's also highly recommended to have it at some level of the solution. It's really not a good solution to have all of these on one server as you would have the core VBR and VB365 as well as the proxies for each and repositories for each (which are structured very differently). If you also have the Veeam database on the same server, it would be very highly taxed.

Comment