Solved

VBR v12 RTM removed " Install a new instance" selection from Installation setup with the Microsoft SQL Server, bug or normal?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
  • Veeam Vanguard, Veeam Legend
  • 190 comments

I noticed VBR v12 RTM removed the " Install a new instance" selection from the Installation setup with the Microsoft SQL Server.

An error message will pop up if the Microsoft SQL Server or Microsoft SQL Server Express does not install locally or remotely.

That means I need to install Microsoft SQL or SQL express before installing Veeam Backup and Replication manager server (I knew v12 supports PostgreSQL) if I would like to work with Microsoft SQL? or is it a bug?

icon

Best answer by Mildur 1 February 2023, 07:14

View original

13 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I noticed VBR v12 RTM removed the " Install a new instance" selection from the Installation setup with the Microsoft SQL Server.

An error message will pop up if the Microsoft SQL Server or Microsoft SQL Server Express does not install locally or remotely.

That means I need to install Microsoft SQL or SQL express before installing Veeam Backup and Replication manager server (I knew v12 supports PostgreSQL) if I would like to work with Microsoft SQL? or is it a bug?

I noticed this as well with the SQL. I think it is a bug possibly.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

V12 changed the default DB to Postgres and brings a pgsql installer, so it makes sense not to ship the SQL express installer. 

I need to double check later when not on the phone, but I don’t think it’s a bug but expected. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @CarySun , @Chris.Childerhose

@StefanZi is right.

Not a bug. This was done on purpose.

New installs with V12 will now use PostgreSQL as the configuration database. PostgreSQL will be installed.

If you want to use a MSSQL server, you have to provide  your own MSSQL server. It‘s not included in the iso anymore.

Our What‘s new document will mention that. (Release with GA)

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @CarySun , @Chris.Childerhose

@StefanZi is right.

Not a bug. This was done on purpose.

New installs with V12 will now use PostgreSQL as the configuration database. PostgreSQL will be installed.

If you want to use a MSSQL server, you have to provide  your own MSSQL server. It‘s not included in the iso anymore.

Our What‘s new document will mention that. (Release with GA)

Best,

Fabian

Ah that makes perfect sense.  Thanks, Mildur.  I like the push to PostgreSQL anyway much better and saves money for licensing SQL. 😋

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@StefanZi @Mildur Thanks for clarifying it’s not a bug.

PostgreSQL has many benefits over Microsoft SQL express. That makes sense to me but maybe not for every Veeam customer. My experience doesn’t expect your customers will read the user guides details. Changing your customers’ habits is not easy. I believe the Veeam support will get many service tickets for this issue.

I thought it was a bug because it was not removed in the beta 3 version; I would suggest adding the SQL express back and letting customers easily install without issues. Veeam customers can select what they would like to use as the database.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Thanks for the feedback @CarySun , but I disagree - here’s my two cents. I see two types of customers:

1. Run a default next-next-finish install with the defaults → Basically these customers would not care if a SQL Express of PostgreSQL is installed but just follow the wizard and use whatever comes per default.
  2. Customer had some requirement which needs more than SQL Express → The customer needed to install SQL server manually anyway before, so there is no change for him if he still wants to use SQL, but he has now an option to use PostgreSQL instead for a more convenient (and cheaper) installation.

PostgreSQL has performance and sizing advantages over SQL Express, I would not recommend any customer to install SQL express on a new VBR compared to Postgres.
If a customer uses SQL Standard already I can see reasons to stick with it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Well, it’s a suggestion only. Thanks, @StefanZi.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’m surprised the option has removed. When you are working in a global company 
and your Veeam EM and Veeam ONE server are because of the size of the company many years on SQL standard. We have a lot of remote size with Veeam B&R servers some of them years on standard SQl because of the size but also small remote sites where SQL Standard did make sense and uses sql express. No we are replacing the Veeam B&R server one of those remote sites SQL express is not provided and PostgreSQL isn’t an option. As told and in the documentation you can’t have different SQL versions in the same Veeam environment. As our Veeam EM and One are SQL standard we need to go for SQL and if we don’t want to spend a SQL standard license for this small remote country.
SQL express is the only option   

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @De Cock 

You can still install MSSQL Express yourself and use it for a new installation. It’s fully supported.

Download Microsoft® SQL Server® 2019 Express from Official Microsoft Download Center

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Mildur 

Of course I know that's not the remark, I just want to say it’s not that black and white for customers.
With a legacy environment and mixed needs. I don’t have a problem Veeam puts PostgreSQL as default
but when you choose the customize SQL express should be there it doesn’t cost them anything.
Or will the support for SQL express change?

Here’s a problem with such approach. I have a VEEAM infra built with multiple BnR servers and Enterprise manager to handle the licenses. They were installed multiple VEEAM versions ago and we just upgrade them, ofc they use MSSQL. Now I'm installing a new BnR server and I cannot connect it with Enterprise manager, because it doesn't allow a server with Postgre to be added to a server with MSSQL. yay. and the iso doesn't contain the MSSQL installer. Now I either have to move all my servers to Postgres or download/install MSSQL manually. Not great.

The other issue switching database engines is that you cannot restore a configuration from an instance running SQL Server to and instance running Postgre.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The other issue switching database engines is that you cannot restore a configuration from an instance running SQL Server to and instance running Postgre.

You can migrate from SQL to PostgreSQL just follow this forum post - (1) VBR 12.x to switch from SQL to Postgres - R&D Forums (veeam.com)

Comment