Solved

VBR 12.1.1 Backup Configuration Warning Failed to connect to Red Hat Virtualization plug-in.....

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
  • Veeam Vanguard, Veeam Legend
  • 192 comments

This is a very interesting warning. I migrated lots of VBR servers, and it’s the first time I've run into this warning.

The detailed warning message is below:

Warning Failed to connect to Red Hat Virtualization plug-in: Failed to login to platform service: The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure.

It happened after I migrated from the VBR server with SQL Express to the new VBR server with PostgreSQL.

All Hosts and repositories are pure Hyper-V environments. There are no Linux servers or repositories.

It’s easy to fix this issue. I rebooted the VBR server and ran the backup configuration again. The warning message is gone.

Does anyone have the same experience?

icon

Best answer by CarySun 5 February 2024, 17:40

View original

17 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Interesting behavior. No sir... I haven't seen or heard of this error. 

Glad you were able to get it working though 👍🏻

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Have not seen this before but don't use hyper-v either.  Nice to see it is an easy fix.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Have not seen this before but don't use hyper-v either.  Nice to see it is an easy fix.

I highlight “pure Hyper-V” because the warning message was showing “Failed to connect to Red Hat Virtualization plug-in...”

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I highlight “pure Hyper-V” because the warning message was showing “Failed to connect to Red Hat Virtualization plug-in...”

Yeah, odd it would display the wrong hypervisor.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

The error message complains about the RHV plugin.

Plugins are installed by default on every Veeam Backup Server. These plugins are used to integrate our additional products (K10, AHV, RHV, GCP, AWS, Azure) in your VBR server.

When a configuration backup is started, we will use the plugins to request a configuration backup from those products. The service must be running or we will get this error message.

@CarySun 

I assume, the RHV plugin service was not running before your have restarted your backup server. After the restart, the service automatically started and the configuration backup job could connect to the plugin.

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

The error message complains about the RHV plugin.

Plugins are installed by default on every Veeam Backup Server. These plugins are used to integrate our additional products (K10, AHV, RHV, GCP, AWS, Azure) in your VBR server.

When a configuration backup is started, we will use the plugins to request a configuration backup from those products. The service must be running or we will get this error message.

@CarySun

I assume, the RHV plugin service was not running before your have restarted your backup server. After the restart, the service automatically started and the configuration backup job could connect to the plugin.

Best,

Fabian

@Mildur Thank you for clarifying. I didn’t double-check services before rebooting it, but it makes sense. This is a new plug-in service after upgrading to 12.1.1.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Mildur Fabian, I am sure it’s not services that cause these issues. I migrated it to another customer. I tried not to reboot the Veeam server. it happened with the same warning message. All Veeam services are up and running.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Mildur Fabian, Could you please check if it is a bug? or if rebooting is necessary? I will keep not rebooting for today. Just in case, you need me to check it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @CarySun 

I checked our internal RnD system and support portal and couldn’t find a similar issue.

I suggest to open a case with our support team and let me know the case number. Best way to confirm a bug is by log investigation. 

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Mildur The Case Number is 07121372.

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Interesting Answer from Support. It’s not a bug. You just need to uninstall unnecessary plug-ins.

If this is true, why VBR12.1.1 install all plug-ins automically?????

The issue you are facing isn't a bug that I am aware of, just simply an issue where a component is installed that is not really necessary. Once removed the error caused by the component clears away and is not seen again. Please see the information from my previous e-mail below:

Looking over your issue, I have seen this before and the resolution is simple, since you advised that there is no Red Hat Virtualization in use then you can simply go to Add/Remove Programs on the Veeam Backup Server. Locate the "Red Hat Virtualization Plug-in for Veeam Backup and Replication" and simply remove it as it is not needed.

Once that has been removed, please retry the Configuration Backup and let me know the results.

If you have any additional questions, please respond to this e-mail and let me know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That is definitely an interesting answer and fix. Seems unnecessary to me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

OK, I am sure that you don’t need to uninstall any unnecessary plug-ins. All you need to do is restart the Veeam RHV Service after migrating the VBR 12.1.1.56 server with SQL Express to the new VBR 12.1.1.56 server with PostgreSQL. The warning will disappear, and it won’t happen again. You don’t need to reboot the server.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Interesting Answer from Support. It’s not a bug. You just need to uninstall unnecessary plug-ins.

The issue you are facing isn't a bug that I am aware of, just simply an issue where a component is installed that is not really necessary. Once removed the error caused by the component clears away and is not seen again. Please see the information from my previous e-mail below:

Looking over your issue, I have seen this before and the resolution is simple, since you advised that there is no Red Hat Virtualization in use then you can simply go to Add/Remove Programs on the Veeam Backup Server. Locate the "Red Hat Virtualization Plug-in for Veeam Backup and Replication" and simply remove it as it is not needed.

Once that has been removed, please retry the Configuration Backup and let me know the results.

If you have any additional questions, please respond to this e-mail and let me know.

Hmm...not sure what to respond on this one… 🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I think we’ve given this advise before here as well that when a certain plugin was causing errors but was not needed, can work around it by just removing it.  Not really a fix and more of a work-around, but it works.  That said, wonder if the plugin will get reinstalled later on with version upgrades, etc.

Userlevel 1

I received the same message and restarting fixed it. Didn’t find this discussion before restarting, so I don’t know the status of the services and wasn’t able to try restarting the RHV service. Restarting the server fixed the issue, though.

Uninstalling extra plug-ins now...

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello,

I got the same issue today after 11 → 12.1

I can confirm after restarting service “Veeam RHV service” and execute again a backup configuration the error is gone.

After this, I reboot the server, try it again and no error anymore.

Comment