v12 Upgrades through Service Provider Console - Check the Logs

• 31 March 2023
  • 6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I ran several V12 updates through our Service Provider Console and just wanted to make sure that anyone else running these upgrades watches for this issue as well.  The issue being, when you push the update and it updates successfully, check the results to make sure that it reenabled all backup and copy jobs at the end.  I had a handfull of upgrades where it stated the upgrade was successful, but in checking the logs, the update didn’t reenable a couple of jobs at the end.  It seemed to me mostly copy jobs, but I had at least one or two backup jobs as well.

​​​​Veeam Service Provider Console log results for upgrading a VBR server to v12 that indicated success in the upgrade but failed to reenable jobs afterwords.

One other thing to look out for is that when you update, make sure that the client isn’t copying data to a VCC provider that isn’t yet on v12 (looking at you 11:11 Systems/Iland).  In that case, copy jobs will now be broken and won’t run until the provider has updated their end.  If you are installing the update manually, it will throw a warning (that you can push though if you don’t mind broken copy jobs), but no warnings/failures were received in the console.

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for sharing that one Derek.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thank you Derek!

I’ve run updates from VSPC only for my lab environment, and my jobs were all stopped..so I can’t confirm your behaviour! 😬

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yeah, it was interesting.  I have something like 20 tenants in there, and I’d say it happened on maybe 6 or 7 of them.  Unfortunately I didn’t catch it on a few of them so we had a couple that didn’t run jobs for a week or two before the client’s assigned engineer noticed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

VSPC has a job state alarm which can send out notifications for disabled jobs.

Description of the Alarm:

This alarm checks whether a job was in a disabled state or unscheduled for more than an allowed time period.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

VSPC has a job state alarm which can send out notifications for disabled jobs.

Description of the Alarm:

This alarm checks whether a job was in a disabled state or unscheduled for more than an allowed time period.

Yeah, we do have the alarms for disabled jobs and machines not backed up, but I haven’t had an opportunity to tweak them so that they actually mean something to us.  Right now they create a lot of noise.  It would be good if the alarm notified if a job was previously enabled and became disabled, but that’s more of a Veeam ONE function I think.  That said, Veeam ONE connected to the SPC isn’t terribly helpful (as best I can tell - it’s still new to me) here because the actual jobs run on VBR servers deployed to a client site and not from the actual SPC.  Perhaps that would be a good request to have on the SPC unless it exists and I don’t fully understand it yet because I haven’t really looked at it yet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Veeam ONE connected to the SPC isn’t terribly helpful (as best I can tell - it’s still new to me)

Unfortunately, there is no hidden integration. VeeamOne integration with the VSPC is license monitoring/management only. 

Best,

Fabian

Comment