Solved

V12 upgrade failure

Userlevel 2

Hello,

We’ve tried upgrading our VBR/EM from V11 to V12 GA today. EM upgrade goes fine, but:

1. VBR upgrade issues a warning at the beginning, requesting to… upgrade EM, although it’s already in V12 and operational. It’s just a warning though and we can continue the upgrade
  2. The upgrade then fails in the 1st step with an error “TFS354792” about a database patch missing. We also tried to completely uninstall/reinstall VBR but the installation fails at the same step with the same error

I’ve seen kb4204, but I don’t get why it fails for a completely standard upgrade from the latest level of V11  ( 11.0.1.1261 P20220302 )?

We had a couple of “private” fixes installed after P20220302 for various issues with cdp, could it be related?

icon

Best answer by FrenchK 21 February 2023, 15:41

View original

12 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Mhh, private fixes could cause problems.  Did the private fixes some patching to the database?The upgrade from the “standard” V11 works fine.

I would open a support call with Veeam...

Userlevel 2

Yep, we’ll do that . To my knowledge the private fixes were only exe files replacements, but maybe we could try uninstalling/reinstalling plain V11 20220302 and upgrade, this would eliminate the potential private fixes cause.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Yes, as @JMeixner mentioned, private fixes can cause issues so definitely worth contacting Veeam Support

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yep, we’ll do that . To my knowledge the private fixes were only exe files replacements, but maybe we could try uninstalling/reinstalling plain V11 20220302 and upgrade, this would eliminate the potential private fixes cause.

Oh, but the private fixes had a reason, hadn’t they? Otherwise you would not have installed them.

I would prefer to open a support call in this case….

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

As suggested the private fixes more than likely are related to the upgrade since they patched certain files that the v12 installer wants to upgrade and/or change.  Support ticket is the best route forward from here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Just to say I wouldn’t start trying to go down the uninstall process for specific patches etc without Veeam support involvement. Especially now you’ve got hot fixes installed doesn’t mean any database patch/schema changes will be reverted to enable the v12 installation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Did you patch SQL up to the latest patch level?  I had to do that on my Service Provider Console….I was running an about year-old build of SQL that wanted to be patched before I could continue with the Veeam console deployment.  I don’t think it prompted me for anything on the VBR/VCC components.

Userlevel 2

Did you patch SQL up to the latest patch level?  I had to do that on my Service Provider Console….I was running an about year-old build of SQL that wanted to be patched before I could continue with the Veeam console deployment.  I don’t think it prompted me for anything on the VBR/VCC components.

Well, it’s SQL express embedded with Veeam, if it needs an upgrade, the V12 upgrade process should do it. But the issue is elsewhere, we tried several options with support already, including the steps in kb4204, no success. Case is ongoing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@dloseke Are you already upgrading the VCC with the respective tenants?

Userlevel 2

For information, issue has been solved by issuing a simple SQL command supplied by support to unregister this TFS354792 patch, then the V12 upgrade went fine.

For information, issue has been solved by issuing a simple SQL command supplied by support to unregister this TFS354792 patch, then the V12 upgrade went fine.

what is this SQL command?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think this should be done with the support team only. So, please contact support if you have a similar case and they will guide you through this.

Otherwise your db can be damaged….

Comment