Solved

Upgrade Veeam v11 to v12 on a Huawei Server

Userlevel 1
  • New Here
  • 4 comments

Hello
We have a physical Huawei server (5288 v5) with Windows 2019 and Veeam installed. Since the announcement that the Veeam plugin is no longer supported, we have uninstalled the plugin and removed the storage in the Veeam admin center. Now we want to update to version 12, but there is an error message in the configuration checks. This is “unsupported Huawei Storage system”. We're supposed to remove something first, but I don't know what it should be. We have already tried to virtualize the server to another one, but the error persists. Does anyone perhaps know the cause?

Many thanks and kind regards

Thomas

icon

Best answer by Epicfailing 18 April 2024, 10:32

View original

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello @SFB,

I found on KB this https://www.veeam.com/kb4027 and it’s from 2022 EOL not from now.

Huawei Plug-In - End of Life

The Huawei Plug-In for Veeam Backup & Replication reached End-of-Life on 2022-04-22 and is no longer available.

If you have Windows Server installed, do you can see storage from Windows OS ?
If yes you can share with CIFS protocol.

Regards,

Userlevel 1

Hy

thanks for your answer. Veeam's Huawei plugin is no longer officially supported. I don't want to reinstall the plugin, but rather update Veeam from our version 11 to version 12 when the plugin is uninstalled. I'm looking for the reason why Veeam refuses to update even though the plugin was uninstalled.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hy

thanks for your answer. Veeam's Huawei plugin is no longer officially supported. I don't want to reinstall the plugin, but rather update Veeam from our version 11 to version 12 when the plugin is uninstalled. I'm looking for the reason why Veeam refuses to update even though the plugin was uninstalled.

Do you can copy screen shot of error ?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Do you also use a Huawei storage SAN / NAS?

Maybe that is configured in VBR backup infrastructure.

Userlevel 1

This is the Message. When i klick to the message, i see only “huawei.storage”. Yes we have also a Huawei Storage. I was of the opinion that only the plugin was no longer supported and not the servers either. Yesterday I virtualized the physical Huawei server and ran it on an ESX server with HP hardware without a network. However, I get the exact same message. There must be something in the database or config that he doesn't like.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Yes we have also a Huawei Storage

I think that is your issue, you need to delete the SAN/NAS from the backup infrastructure.
Its only needed to communicate directly to the storage, which is not supported anymore with Huawei hardware.

I think that if you remove it then you can go ahead with the upgrade

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/upgrade_vbr_byb.html?zoom_highlight=huawei&ver=120

Userlevel 1

I think I misunderstood you. After uninstalling the plugin we also removed the storage. In Veeam under storage infrastructure I don't see anything anymore. But maybe there is something else stored in the configuration of the backup tasks or somewhere else.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I doubt you could have removed it in VBR infrastructure if it is configured in a job .
Probably a leftover entry in the DB.

Support is the way to go to have it removed.

Userlevel 1

thanks Epicfailing, the Problem was in the DB.

Comment