Skip to main content
Question

Unstructured File Backup Job Archiving - How can i access that Archive?

Hi there,

we run a relatively small Backup Environment with Veeam Backup & Replication 12. I have several File Backup Jobs of unstructured Data from our Server. The Jobs use a local NAS as Onsite Repository, a Remote NAS as Offsite Repository (secondary Target) and a local StoreOnce VSA as an Archive Repository.

It works as it should. But i cannot get my head around how i can access the contents of this very Archive, that is created alongside the File Backup Job. Is there a way to access this Archive directly? There’s also no Backup Mapping available on that Page. What happens if i loose access to that Archive; say - Veeam Backup System dies and i have to reassign everything in a fresh install again. How can i get access to that Archive again?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Steffen

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Due to the way Veeam stores the backups of unstructured data you need the console to access it on the second tab (don't recall the name right now) but where you add the shares.

If you have a configuration backup stored offsite you can easily rebuild your Veeam server, add the device again and rescan to gain access back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Steffen H. 

Restore options from an archive repository are documented in our user guide:

Restoring Backup Files from Archive Repository - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Restore the entire configuration from a configuration backup to a new backup server as explained by Chris is another great option.

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 1

Many thanks for your replies. I will try this in a moment by removing the actual backup. To check whether i can reintegrate that Archive again. If that works i will delete the actual Backup Job and create it again to simulate the effect of a lost Veeam Server with no Configuration left. I hope that i can integrate it in there too because this is what actually bothers me most.

In the meantime, here’s a Screenshot from the Window i mean:

This is the archive i mean. Is there a way to directly access it? In case i need to restore from it without having the File Backup Job left from which it was originally created? If this is only possible in PS, like you mentioned @Chris.Childerhose : Is there a documentation available that describes this process?

Thank you guys!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Many thanks for your replies. I will try this in a moment by removing the actual backup. To check whether i can reintegrate that Archive again. If that works i will delete the actual Backup Job and create it again to simulate the effect of a lost Veeam Server with no Configuration left. I hope that i can integrate it in there too because this is what actually bothers me most.

In the meantime, here’s a Screenshot from the Window i mean:

This is the archive i mean. Is there a way to directly access it? In case i need to restore from it without having the File Backup Job left from which it was originally created? If this is only possible in PS, like you mentioned @Chris.Childerhose : Is there a documentation available that describes this process?

Thank you guys!

In order to restore and read the data since file backup jobs are stored differently than regular backups you will still need to attach the StoreOnce to a new VBR server and rescan it to import the data.  You can then access it on the Home tab under the Backups (Imported) section.

Comment