Question

Unexpected network error

• 10 December 2022
  • 3 comments

Hi, I had an unexpected network error on my windows server 2012R2 and Veeam Agent for Windows ver. 5.0.3

I have setted “keep backups for 35 days” and I have on my nas 2 Tb free out of 3 Tb total. Now, I have 34 backups and when i run a backup, after about a minute, I get “processing finished with errors” and “error: unexpected network error. Failed to read data from the file”. 

I tried to free up some space, to stop and start Veeam agent service, to restart nas, to modify the number of backups (trying 30 and 40) but every time i got the same error. 

what else can i do?

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Network errors are usually communication issues but it sounds like possibly your backup chain is corrupt possibly. Try running an active full and see if it completes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Network errors are usually communication issues but it sounds like possibly your backup chain is corrupt possibly. Try running an active full and see if it completes.

You are right, also, depending on the NAS you are using, if the backup file gets too big, sometimes start dropping packets and and make the error.

Try the Active Full, and if not, a new destiny.

cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

When you say you tried to free up some space, did you delete a previous backup file? As only Veeam should modify its backup chain.

Are you creating periodic synthetic or active full backups?

I ask this as it sounds like when it’s trying to read from or transform the backup chain, that a file can’t be read causing the failure. Have you tested these backups? I’m concerned you can’t rely on this backup chain.

Comment