Training/Studying: What do you use and why?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hey everyone,

Open discussion today, not just for Veeam but for technology as a whole, what do you use to train and why is that the tool of choice for you? I’d like this to become a good resource for fellow Veeamers to become a launchpad to get started with technologies, as Veeam supports more platforms, the systems we can be dealing with extend as a direct result, so it’s beneficial if we can find our ideal ways of learning and where to go from learning core concepts up to the advanced intricate details of these systems.

It’s not always possible for people to have access to corporate resources for testing so bonus points for any cheap/free resources!

For example:

Microsoft 365/Azure: I have a few favourite YouTubers such as John Savill (https://youtube.com/c/NTFAQGuy) that I’ll use for sprawling concepts such as Azure Kubernetes. Then I’ll use Microsoft Learn for a mixture of lab exercises and walk throughs. Then when I want to start playing with more advanced topics I’ll use my O365/Azure Tenant and heavily reference Microsoft Docs for PowerShell cmdlets and technical documentation.

Why? Azure & Office 365 infrastructure and configuration tends to sprawl across so many different components that I find the visual style of John Savill handy to get a grasp of what I’ll be working with and how it interconnects, dependencies etc and then I can learn more about the technologies with Microsoft Learn, either via tracks that Microsoft have curated or random modules, following examples of intended behaviours. Then finally Microsoft Docs will typically answer uncertainties and expand the scope. Microsoft have designed their systems for years under the concept that GUI buttons should just run PowerShell underneath, meaning the GUI options won’t typically have anything that can’t be done via PowerShell, but PowerShell can often perform tasks not possible via GUI. This also helps when attempting to automate tasks as you can work natively with PowerShell.

Veeam: Veeam University is of course one of the best resources for people new to Veeam with the Veeam Helpcenter being a great follow on resource for information. But when it comes to testing, for years I actually had Hyper-V installed on my laptop with a nested ESXi and separate nested Hyper-V server and separate Veeam VMs for whichever service I was testing (VBR, Veeam One or O365) as it’s so easy to get a community or NFR license for these products to play about with them.

Veeam are one of the few vendors that focus on the deployment and support workflows when writing their helpcenter documentation, meaning you could follow it and at the end of the document, have a fully working solution, a great place for beginners to get their first environments set up!

VMware: To start learning a new technology I recommend the VMware Hands-On Labs, then if you want to start testing in your own environment, you can access trial licenses via VMware’s website or if you subscribe to the VMUG advantage you can get 365 day NFR licenses for nearly all of their products! VMware offer some basic training for free and have multiple technical resources split out depending on what you need such as: VMware Core, VMware Docs and many different blogs, my favourite of their blogs is their “VROOM!” Blog. When you’re learning how to architect solutions for the first time, it’s handy to know what design considerations will accelerate the workload best, it can help you learn of settings you didn’t even know existed!

Now this list is by no means exhaustive but how about you? What do you rely on as we tackle the ever changing world of technology?

15 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I use udemy and kodekloud.

Here is a post in the Kubernetes Korner I did about training resources too:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

When it comes to studying for me nothing beats hands on in my home lab.  It allows you to start from scratch and work through the process whether it is Veeam or VMware for install, configuration, settings, etc.  This is my main go to along with study materials to focus on the exam blueprints.

For the specific techs -

Veeam:  I use the exam blueprint that outlines the sections and testing values.  I then use notes from class (if taken) as well as the Veeam Help Center - Veeam Helpcenter.  I also use the Veeam BP site - Welcome - Veeam Backup & Replication Best Practice Guide as well which helps for things like formulas and recommendations.  I also check the What’s New guides as well to see the new features to be able to learn those.  Also experience plays a big part dealing with Veeam daily.  Also I use Rasmus’s practice tests and website along with the ProPartner Exam testing site too as this gives you great examples of test questions and formatting, etc.

VMware:  I use the exam blueprint here as well to see what will be tested.  I then use the VMware HOLs and home lab to go through installs, configurations, settings, etc.  I also do allot of reading of books that I have like the HA Cluster Deep Dive, Mastering books, v7 Exam books or study guides, and any other resources that I can find on the web.  Hands on though with VMware is the best part and also using practice tests that many people put out there from the vExpert program.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

For the most exams some outlines, study guides and practise exams exist. I like to use these resources very much and can learn very well with them.

Besides of this it is practise, practise, practise. Many features are understandable when you are using them  and are playing around with them. Most problems are better to handle with this, too. At least it is so for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks @JMeixner @Geoff Burke @Chris.Childerhose for sharing :relaxed:

The exam perspective is definitely good, I like using mock exams to build a study guide to what I don’t know and give me a bit of a “map” for what I need to learn!

@Geoff Burke any particular reason you use udemy? Be good to get your perspective if you’ve tried any other sites and what made you go with udemy!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Same as @Geoff Burke i’m going to udemy for some courses. The variety and choices are good and i’m watching promotions to take courses hehe.

love xavki channel about devops (french speaking), lots of informations and how to:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs_AZuYXi6NA9tkdbhjItHQ

cookie connecté channel (connected cookie :sweat_smile: ), vulgarization of IT. One subject per video less than 10 mins.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5cs06DgLFeyLIF_II7lWCQ

if some of you have good suggestions about some good you tube channel, I will be happy to discover it !

I like to watch you tube videos, it give me ideas to dig in my homelab and focus on specific subject.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Thanks @JMeixner @Geoff Burke @Chris.Childerhose for sharing :relaxed:

The exam perspective is definitely good, I like using mock exams to build a study guide to what I don’t know and give me a bit of a “map” for what I need to learn!

@Geoff Burke any particular reason you use udemy? Be good to get your perspective if you’ve tried any other sites and what made you go with udemy!

I have had very good luck there with the Kubernetes courses. Only one not so good one all of this time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

For Veeam i am using Veeam University. Not sure if any Nuggets are there like CBT or INE Videos for Veeam ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

For Veeam i am using Veeam University. Not sure if any Nuggets are there like CBT or INE Videos for Veeam ?

I find with Veeam that the University or actual training classes are the best.  Places like Udemy or PluralSight have Veeam content but it is outdated and never current.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Great post @MicoolPaul ! For all vendors I try to use the official study guides of the vendor itself. When I have studied enough I’ll try to search free practice exams.

For Veeam in particular : I always try to make a summary of the course and especially note the things important to remember and things I’m not using frequently. The best and most accurate resources for Veeam is definitely the helpcenter. Next to that I use also the Veeam Best Practice site and use some sites of Veeam Vanguards or Veeam experts like yourselve, @haslund and so on :sweat_smile: .

And last but not least : use a lot a lab especially for things I’m not using frequently.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I find with Veeam that the University or actual training classes are the best.  Places like Udemy or PluralSight have Veeam content but it is outdated and never current.

Have you considered converting your book into a training course on one of these platforms?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Have you considered converting your book into a training course on one of these platforms?

That is an interesting idea which I might check out. Just need to find the time to do that.  😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Time is indeed a big problem nowadays, especially when having a busy and demanding job. Next to that a family with children of different age, keep up with several IT-related technology… Busy busy busy and lack of time :smile::sweat_smile:

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for sharing, @MicoolPaul, very concise and straight to the point article.

Those learning resources are very valuable.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Home lab or the  test environment at work are my #1’s. I am very much a hands on learner and the more I break and fix something the more I know it. 

I have a Plurlsite account which is OK, but I have been lucky that work will sometimes pay for education when there is a budget.  Unfortunately in this day and age, there is 100 courses I’d like to go on, and many other employees also wanting to take education.  Many of my certs have expired over the last few years so it’s time to get back on the Cert train :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I have the chance to be partner with a lot of editors/manufacturers, so I have access to the partners programms with learning courses and tests environnements for somes.

After I have a “work lab” where I can test news products versions, deploy some news tools when I have the time for this unfortunately.

For french communauty I used also https://openclassrooms.com/fr to acquire somes news knowledges.

And of course follow a lot of blogs, webinars and youtube channels:
A really nice one for french service provider : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMHNUV0R599RNKbAFpbgm0w  
Thanks @Baptiste Tellier.

Comment