Solved

Tape Servers - Limits & Expansion - Service Providers when do you expand?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I wanted to ask any Service Providers out there that may use tape with Veeam - do you have sizing set up so that when you have X number of Tenants you add tape drives or another tape server?

I am working on our design for our Veeam VCC to Tape offering and I am trying to put together some rough estimations of when you have X number of tenants on VCC you add either - X number of tape drives more or add a second/third tape server to the mix.

We have currently 47 tenants with one tape server which had 3 tape drives connected (now it is up to 6 as we added 3 more yesterday) but it still seems to be a bit of a headache due to the number of jobs running plus when a Restore request comes in.

Hopefully someone has experience around this as I have also asked our SA at Veeam as well to see if there is any documentation, they have similar to the limit's spreadsheet for VBM365 which is great.

Thank for looking and chiming in. 😁

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 19 November 2022, 23:03

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Don’t have much input and am mostly here to see the responses.  I only have 2 clients under rental licensing but we’re backing them up to local NAS storage on their premise and not back to us, with one of them copying to Iland/11:11 VCC. 

I can tell you that in my old environment (not Veeam), using a Quest NetVault cluster that was backing up to a Nexsan (guessing SATABeast with expansion units) as a temporary landing location, and then would offload to a fiber channel tape library that had had something like 12 LTO drives, I think LTO 5 and LTO 6….maybe 4 and 5 - hard to remember for sure.  I had probably…60ish clients on it.  That was probably…8 or 9 years ago that we transitioned from tape over to EMC Avamar and DataDomain’s.  I’m not sure if that’s helpful at all or not…it’s an apples to bok choy comparison, but it might lend some help?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Don’t have much input and am mostly here to see the responses.  I only have 2 clients under rental licensing but we’re backing them up to local NAS storage on their premise and not back to us, with one of them copying to Iland/11:11 VCC. 

I can tell you that in my old environment (not Veeam), using a Quest NetVault cluster that was backing up to a Nexsan (guessing SATABeast with expansion units) as a temporary landing location, and then would offload to a fiber channel tape library that had had something like 12 LTO drives, I think LTO 5 and LTO 6….maybe 4 and 5 - hard to remember for sure.  I had probably…60ish clients on it.  That was probably…8 or 9 years ago that we transitioned from tape over to EMC Avamar and DataDomain’s.  I’m not sure if that’s helpful at all or not…it’s an apples to bok choy comparison, but it might lend some help?  

Any input helps.  Thanks Derek.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

We are using often tape-drives and loaders for customers but not for our VCC-environment.

I think it really depends on how many running concurrent jobs and how frequently you want them to copy to tape? Is there a daily change?

Not yet considered using veeam ready immutable object storage appliances @Chris.Childerhose ?

For a situation as a VCC environment, it’s lot less administration and manual operation...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

We are using often tape-drives and loaders for customers but not for our VCC-environment.

I think it really depends on how many running concurrent jobs and how frequently you want them to copy to tape? Is there a daily change?

Not yet considered using veeam ready immutable object storage appliances @Chris.Childerhose ?

For a situation as a VCC environment, it’s lot less administration and manual operation...

For this service there isn't a need for immutability as it lands on disk and goes straight to tape.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

We have worked with Veeam to try to figure something out. So let's see how it goes and works.  Thanks all for the input.

Comment