Question

Tape Configuration Issues

Userlevel 5
Badge

Tape issues,

Hey guys, I have been round and round with support and we are not getting far

I have 28 tapes in my tape library and VEEAM sees them and reads them, but they are only showing 107gb free of 107gb total storage.  These are 30tb LTO8 drives and the systems UI itself shows the drives are 100% clear

thoughts on what else I could try?

I have done everything using the itdt.exe tool and still no luck

Thanks in advance

13 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, what model tape library is it? Have you checked if it is officially supported? https://www.veeam.com/alliance-partner-technical-programs.html?alliancePartner=spectra-logic-corporation&programCategory=ready-tape&page=1

I assume support have gone through exploring different driver versions plus enable/disable native scsi commands. Any other partitions on the library?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Have you tried to format one of the tapes using Veeam to see what it reads?  Also checking the stuff Michael mentioned?

Userlevel 5
Badge

Spectra is supported by VEEAM and they are specifically certified for this as well as many other functions by VEEAM

model: 

SCSI failover has been turned off (On leads to another set of issues)

Userlevel 5
Badge

Have you tried to format one of the tapes using Veeam to see what it reads?  Also checking the stuff Michael mentioned?

I have, and it fails every time (cannot detect block size) is the error message I get

I tried opening the library from the manufacturer UI and I am trying to erase again, it is taking its time but maybe that did something

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I have, and it fails every time (cannot detect block size) is the error message I get

I tried opening the library from the manufacturer UI and I am trying to erase again, it is taking its time but maybe that did something

Yeah, definitely a very weird situation.  Hopefully this method works for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

There is one other thing you could try which is by ejecting the tape, adding it back in and performing an inventory scan. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

There is one other thing you could try which is by ejecting the tape, adding it back in and performing an inventory scan. 

trying this now

standby

Userlevel 5
Badge

same error message, but now 1 tape is showing correct

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

same error message, but now 1 tape is showing correct

Are you able to write to that tape ok? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @clownyboots178 -

I am just following up on your tape server space issue post here. Were you able to resolve what the issue was? Did Veeam Support get your issue resolved? If so, could you share what was done to display your tape space correctly so others who come across your post with a similar issue may benefit?

Thank you.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @clownyboots178 -

I am just following up on your tape server space issue post here. Were you able to resolve what the issue was? Did Veeam Support get your issue resolved? If so, could you share what was done to display your tape space correctly so others who come across your post with a similar issue may benefit?

Thank you.

thanks for following up, support through up their arms and said it was a microsoft error with server 2022, my tape provider said its a microsoft issue as well - I have moved onto another issue that is more important right now and I will have to revisit this issue later on

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No worries at all. Just wanted to see if you ever got your issue resolved. Thanks for the update!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @clownyboots178 -

Thank you.

thanks for following up, support through up their arms and said it was a microsoft error with server 2022, my tape provider said its a microsoft issue as well - I have moved onto another issue that is more important right now and I will have to revisit this issue later on

Well at least you have a common denominator now which is good old MS.  😋

Best of luck when you revisit this to fix it.

Comment