Solved

Swap repository for Backup and BackupCopy jobs ?

Userlevel 1

Hello

I’m trying to find a solution to a hypothetic scenario: tl;dr is it possible to change/swap the target repository of a Backup Job by the repository of the BackupCopy Job

I have 2 datacenter, 1 VBR server, and 2 repository on each site, one for backup job target, and the other one for BackupCopy job target

every job have a copy job associated with it, and there are a few dozens of jobs running every day

I want to plan the failure of the repository system and being able to continue to do backups, in the case where the issue is hardware or would need multiple days to repair

I have no problem with restoring from the copy jobs, all the data is there as intended, but how to restart the service of “backups” during this failure?

so is it possible to tell VBR to use the the existing backup copy chains to use as an existing repository (I can’t seem to be able to remap)

or is that impossible and I would need a new repository, and so startiing new backup chain ?

icon

Best answer by JMeixner 25 April 2023, 23:26

View original

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

As per here you cannot map a job to a backup copy repo - https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-replication-f2/map-backup-to-backup-copy-t64918.html

So you would need net new.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The format of the backup files of a backup job and a copy backup job is sligthly different. So, you cannot exchage them.

Yon can swap the repositories in the jobs, but this will start a new backup chain.

Userlevel 1

thanks for your answers, (and all the DMs)

I was looking for a way to “ease” the burden of the tech team in case of DR on the site where the backup is stored, we are using NFS repository on some appliance with high dedup and a backend synchronsation on a secondary site

everything is active/active on both site except the backup repository, and the failover in case of DR is easy, simply pointing the NFS to the replicated appliance and it’s working fine

but this technology is nearing a bottleneck with the increase of data and the replication is going to go over the acceptable time window

if we want to continue to provide the “backup service” for our customers even in case of DR, and if we use backup copy instead of the nfs replication, we will need to manually change all the jobs to point to another Repository. It’s manual and it takes time (lots of jobs) but if there is no alternative, it’s either that or invest in more appliances and reduce the load

too bad veeam never implemented dual-target repository but it’s understandable given the many constraints and scenario that’s behind this concept when you start to think about it

Comment