Solved

SureBackup

Userlevel 2
  • Not a newbie anymore
  • 5 comments

Hello,

Getting the following error when trying to run SureBackup in Veeam which is on a windows server 2019.

“Error: VM was created with the later version of Hyper-V than the one installed on host.”

The VM’s are configured with version 10 and they are on server 2022. Server 2019 supports only until configuration 9.0.

Is there any way to run the surebackup for VM’s with configuration version 10.0 on this host?

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by dips 4 March 2024, 22:32

View original

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @sghosh 

Welcome to the community. 
It may not be possible as you are trying to run them on an older version i.e 9 whilst VM compatibility is set to version 10.

Essentially, not forward compatible. 

‘You can only import a virtual machine if the Hyper-V host supports that configuration version. Typically, this means that you can import a virtual machine to a Hyper-V host running a newer version of Hyper-V, but you cannot import a virtual machine created on a newer version of Hyper-V to an older version of Hyper-V.’

From: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/deploy/Upgrade-virtual-machine-version-in-Hyper-V-on-Windows-or-Windows-Server

Are you able to upgrade to 2022? Alternatively do you have another Veeam instance running on server 2022?

Userlevel 2

That’s what I thought too. Thanks for the confirmation!!

I will probably upgrade it to 2022.

Thank you again for the fast response.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

That’s what I thought too. Thanks for the confirmation!!

I will probably upgrade it to 2022.

Thank you again for the fast response.

Very welcome :)

Comment