Question

Support for XCP-NG and ProxMox (It's been fun VMWare)

Userlevel 3

With the recent VMWare licensing consolidation and Broadcom moving to a subscription/core model, it has caused many SMBs to explore new options for a hypervisor. (such a shame.. pouring one out for my years of VMWare experience.) XCP-NG and ProxMox keep coming up in various communities. I personally have tested both and they perform really well. My only issue with them is that currently there is no native Veeam integration for the two platforms. Are there any plans for Veeam to support XCP-NG and/or ProxMox?

13 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’ve not heard of any plans to add other virtualization platforms @cmurdaugh . I would go ping the Veeam Forums to see if the PMs have a better answer for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’ve not heard of any plans to add other virtualization platforms @cmurdaugh . I would go ping the Veeam Forums to see if the PMs have a better answer for you.

I would second this as Product Management does not watch the community boards, but they do the Forums.  From what I know there is no support or plans as of right now for those virtualization platforms.

Userlevel 3

Thanks for the insight gentlemen! I will give the Forums a try. Happy New Year! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Happy New Year to you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I am using Proxmox for my home lab and am very pleased. I had low expectations just in case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Happy New Year to you as well.  Always here to help.  😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I mentioned this a couple weeks ago and one of the PM team members advised he took it back to the team.  Of course, no roadmap for such a thing at this point, but I’m sure it’s being looked at.  Until then, seems that a lot of folks, that are moving, are moving to Hyper-V or Nutanix AHV, or are biting the bullet with Proxmox and XCP-NG and if they want to use Veeam, they must use the agents.  However, I understand Proxmox has a backup service built-in, but I can’t speak to how fully featured it is.  I know nothing about backups with XCP-NG at this time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Also, I just got done evaluating pricing for VMware in several scenarios, waiting for some more pricing info, but if you’re a greenfield SMB that would normally use Essentials Plus, it’s going to be cheaper to go to Standard because you’re buying the actual number of core licenses you need.  With the new Essentials Plus subscription, you’re buying a 96-core kit so it’s expensive unless you have high core-count machine such as dual 16-core processors (32 cores per host, 3 hosts).  Most of my clients are at or below the 16-core minimum, and have either 2 or 3 hosts, so Standard licensing is going to be cheaper than Essentials Plus.  However, renewals are going to be more costly of course, and if you’re greenfield and don’t need vMotion, with Essentials kit’s going away, it’s going to be a significant cost increase to go to Standard.  This might be a wild-ride for sure.  When virtualization companies talk about disruption, I’m not sure that this Broadcom acquisition is what we all had in mind….

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @cmurdaugh -

There’s been a great Forum thread where Gostev was looking at what users may be migrating to and, if anyone has had experience with Proxmox and/or XCP and what issues they’ve encountered, as Veeam was looking into potentially supporting other hypervisors.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @cmurdaugh -

Just following up here to see if any of the comments answered your question?

Thanks.

Userlevel 3

@coolsport00 Thanks for following up! I appreciate the thread that you recommended. There are a lot of great ideas in there. The search still continues for me. I have a tested Hyper-V, ProxMox, and XCP-NG quite extensively. Each have their pros and cons. I think I will just have to accept that none of them are VMWare. I really like how Veeam and VMWare work so well together and how easy it is to coach others on how to use them together. The good news is I have some time to figure this out. I have to focus on another major project right now but hope to make a decision this Summer on which direction to go. Thanks again for your time and checking back in with me. Have a great week Shane! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No problem. 

Yeah... I'm with you. Going to be testing out a couple myself. 

You too! 

I would love to see XCP-NG support, its the only thing stopping me from recommending it as a potential vmware replacement here at work. I use it heavily in my homelab and while the inbuild backup feature is good, I would prefer to run Veeam instead at the hypervisor level (ie: not agent based)

Comment